We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Monarch Airways.

inverness
Level Contributor
1,134 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Monarch Airways.

I have heard that Monarch are leasing aircrafts from a lithuanian airline along with cabin crew. I have heard the interior of these planes are of a poor state and vandalised. Leg room very bad particularly at the rear. Exterior also showing signs of wear and tear.

I know these planes are doing the Alicante to Birmingham run.

I am booked to fly with Monarch Luton to Mahon on 5th October, I wonder if this is the type of aircraft that will be getting used on this route when I travel.

Any information on this will be much appreciated.

234 replies to this topic
Madrid
Level Contributor
3,185 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Monarch Airways.

Surely they must be breaching some sort of regulation by their behaviour?!

No they are not.The Lithuanian carrier has been safety audited satisfactorily.

On the other hand,whether it is good customer service is another matter.

Birmingham
Level Contributor
55 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Monarch Airways.

There's always one, Rapidex, isn't there!!!

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
32,851 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Monarch Airways.

They wouldn't be allowed to operate in European airspace if they didn't conform to airworthiness directives issued by the European Aviation Safety Agency.

Monarch aren't breaching any regulations. Thomas Cook was doing the same last season and they do still have other airlines operating some routes this summer.

4 posts
Save Reply
34. Re: Monarch Airways.

Yes it did emergency land as cabin pressure dropped and no it didn't stop to let a family off from what I read it was a fault with the craft why it had to stop, these stories are all over the internet about people's experiences. I wonder if the people in support of monarch have actually flown on the sub standard crafts they are providing?? Just a thought.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
17,588 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Monarch Airways.

"I wonder if the people in support of monarch have actually flown on the sub standard crafts they are providing?? Just a thought."

____

I wonder if any of these people bashing Monarch are in a position to determine if a plane is safe to fly - even if you have experienced it first hand in seat 26C? Just a thought.

Edited: 22 August 2012, 18:35
Birmingham
Level Contributor
55 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Monarch Airways.

This particular airline may, in theory, have had to satisfy certain safety checks, (although I await further evidence of that) but even the most ardent pro Monarch poster would surely agree that there have been far more 'incidents' with these aircraft than normal over the short period that they have been in use by Monarch. Yes, things do happen with all airlines and aircraft (I experienced a prolonged delay in Hong Kong once when a brand new Emirates airbus developed a serious fault). However, faults and emergencies seem to be happening almost on a daily basis with these aircraft, with the resultant delays and real distress experienced by passengers. It does not take too much of a leap of imagination to conclude that, if the internal and external appearance of the aircraft is so bad, it is unlikely that it is being maintained properly. But then, what do we mere mortals know; we should be grateful as long as they get us from A to B, even if we are gibbering wrecks by the time we eventually get there!

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
32,851 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Monarch Airways.

People were complaining last year about Thomas Cook and Olympic doing just the same thing with similar complaints - just with different airlines! Nothing unusual about it.

I don't know what makes you think Monarch could lease from an airline whose aircraft aren't certified to fly in Europe.

Cala d'Or, Spain
Destination Expert
for Cala d'Or
Level Contributor
3,388 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: Monarch Airways.

Hi,

I flew from Palma with Monarch on Monday in a Monarch plane, my daughter flew back last night on the Lithuanian plane.

In the departure lounge just before boarding a man started shouting that the plane was a death trap and pleaded with people not to board it.

There was a lot of upset families and about 8 people had their bags off loaded while the plane was delayed.

The inside was in a very poor condition with broken seats and gaffa tape holding things together.

Other than that the flight was uneventful and just 30 mins late.

I think that Monarch really need to address this or they will soon start loosing customers.

28SAC

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
17,588 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: Monarch Airways.

"In the departure lounge just before boarding a man started shouting that the plane was a death trap and pleaded with people not to board it."

----

Was this man an aircraft engineer? I'm pretty impressed even if he was and he managed to determine it was unsafe from the departure lounge.

Stick to facts, the cabin interior may be shabby and very dated but this doesn't make it unsafe to fly.

Madrid
Level Contributor
3,185 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: Monarch Airways.

"I wonder if the people in support of monarch have actually flown on the sub standard crafts they are providing?? Just a thought."

Since when did answering questions translate to supporting?

yes it did emergency land as cabin pressure dropped.

Lack of cabin pressure does not require an emergency landing.Aircraft fly quite happily unpressurised,with all other systems operational,and do not declare an emergency to land.Flying unpressurised at low level uses to much fuel,so prevents the aircraft reaching its final destination with legal fuel reserves,which requires a landing.

Scruffy tatty aircraft are not necessarily dangerous.Broken tray tables do not effect airworthiness,but give a bad impression to the passengers,many of whom may be nervous,so may well be a bad thing commercially.Paying Monarch prices and ending up on a tatty old aircraft would make me mad too.

Reply to: Monarch Airways.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted