We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Monarch Airways.

inverness
Level Contributor
1,153 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Monarch Airways.

I have heard that Monarch are leasing aircrafts from a lithuanian airline along with cabin crew. I have heard the interior of these planes are of a poor state and vandalised. Leg room very bad particularly at the rear. Exterior also showing signs of wear and tear.

I know these planes are doing the Alicante to Birmingham run.

I am booked to fly with Monarch Luton to Mahon on 5th October, I wonder if this is the type of aircraft that will be getting used on this route when I travel.

Any information on this will be much appreciated.

234 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
29 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
51. Re: Monarch Airways.

Travelled twice with monarch this year from Birmingham to Mahon . No issues at all and perfect journeys . Both flights on monarch planes.

Think this thread may be scaring a few people to be fair .

2 posts
Save Reply
52. Re: Monarch Airways.

As soon as it passes the airworthyness test it is only airworthy untill it takes off again becauase the certificate means nothing once the plane is back in the air again.

I flew on an air explore today from barcelona to birmingham which was not what you'd expect from a monarch operation. There was gaffa tape on seats and worn out interior. My seat fell apart too.

These planes are not safe thats why monarch will not have their own pilots and crew members onboard because they will refuse. The exact same plane had a depressurisation problem the other week and plumeted down 25000 ft.

And then there is the fact that monarch contacted us to say there was a plane change when they knew that was the plane that would be used in the first place as when booking the seats the layout was the same. This proves that monarch a liars and are abusing trust of their customers. Ryanair next time!

Madrid
Level Contributor
3,224 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
53. Re: Monarch Airways.

These planes are not safe thats why monarch will not have their own pilots and crew members onboard because they will refuse.

An absolute load of rubbish.Monarch pilots are not licensed to fly the wet leased aircraft,that is why they are not onboard.At the very least they would be required to have their licenses validated by the country of registration of these aircraft,which cost money.For a short summer wet lease,the aircraft will come with crew from the home country.Sometimes a cabin crew member will act as a liason.

Since when did tatty interiors equal unsafe?Before each outbound flight the aircraft has to be signed out as fit to fly by a Monarch licensed engineer.I bet he knows more about flight safety than an unqualified ranter.

2 posts
Save Reply
54. Re: Monarch Airways.

My point is the shabby interior is not what you pay for.

And thats why a monarch engineer checked it over before it went to birmingham and it had to emergency land in france after dropping out of the sky. Really trust them..

Madrid
Level Contributor
3,224 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
55. Re: Monarch Airways.

My point is the shabby interior is not what you pay for.

On that point I agree with you 100%.

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
34,458 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
56. Re: Monarch Airways.

Matyg

Of course the planes are safe! The shabby interior might not be what you pay for, but to infer that is a safety issue is a different matter.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
57. Re: Monarch Airways.

It needs to scare people. If you had flown on the Aurela nightmare plane you would think differently. I have always flown with Monarch and have always felt at ease on board even though I am a nervous passenger. I have never felt so afraid and genuinely in fear for my life as I did on that nightmare 4 and half hour fligh to Tenerife, especially as we were delayed for 3 hours and had to sit watching gangs of men shake the life out the engine on the right wing. Only to hear when the wreck landed in Tenerife those due to fly back couldn't because the door wouldn't close.

Is it common for planes to need repairing after every journey? I appreciate that they have to meet CAA regulations but surely Monarch could hire better planes than these substandard wrecks with broken seats and 6 inches of leg room.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
18,985 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
58. Re: Monarch Airways.

"Is it common for planes to need repairing after every journey? "

___

Hardly every journey just because it happened to you on one flight out. All planes are checked prior to every flight and all incidents however minor are reported in a logbook.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
59. Re: Monarch Airways.

"Since when did tatty interiors equal unsafe?Before each outbound flight the aircraft has to be signed out as fit to fly by a Monarch licensed engineer.I bet he knows more about flight safety than an unqualified ranter."

It is about feeling safe as much as being safe, the unqualified ranter is the unfortunate person who has paid money to recieve a level of service that has not been forthcoming. Monarch have turned a lot of people off using their service purely because of their greed. If they could not provide a decent plane they shouldnt have taken our money. When you are restricted to a broken seat, nowhere to put your legs and a plane that shakes for over 4 hours maybe then you would be qualified to comment on the state of the aircraft that Monarch are happy to subject their customers to.

I contacted Monarch to try and find out what aircraft we would be returning home on but they could not tell me more like would not tell me. I struggle to believe that the airline does not know until 4 hours before what aircraft it is using do they not need to schedule the planes anymore? Monarch have rightly lost a lot of custom over their 'wet leases' during the summer months and I for one would never travel with them again.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
60. Re: Monarch Airways.

So the plane I flew out to Tenerife on was repaired at Birmingham and again at Tenerife coincidence?

Reply to: Monarch Airways.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted