We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good customer service from Jetstar

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
23,295 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Good customer service from Jetstar

I know Jetstar gets a lot of bagging but I thought I'd relate an instance of good customer service I just received from them.

I booked some flights and elected to pay by Direct Deposit to avoid the credit card surcharge. As my bank is the same as theirs the transaction was processed immediately.

Two working days later when I checked my itinerary, it was flagged as pending, unpaid. As when I had originally made the payment it said that the booking would only be held for two days I was a little concerned and phoned their customer service department.

When I eventually got through, after some discussion I was asked to send a copy of my bank's confirmation of payment, which I duly did. Later that day I found the itinerary was now marked as paid so I was happy enough with that.

However, this morning a Jetstar rep called me to check that everything was now OK and ask if I had received my itinerary (which I had). Not only that, but she had to call four times before I was available to take the call, which I thought was pretty good follow up, I would have thought they'd give up after the second try. They did leave voice mail, but only to say they wanted to speak with me personally, so they also didn't take that out and call it good.

I was impressed, better service than I expected.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2,329 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good customer service from Jetstar

Good to hear! Nice to hear some positive news for a chnage.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good customer service from Jetstar

I work in an industry where people are hot headed when they phone with a complaint, and I tell them I will only listen if they stop swearing at me, so I can help them. Sometimes I can't get a word in to explain and help.

Rarely, very rarely, do we get a compliment and we go backwards to thank them for taking the time to phone.

People will jump at complaining, but rarely make the effort to compliment anyone .. no matter what it is.

Thanks for letting us know.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,678 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good customer service from Jetstar

Hi,

To piggyback off #2, I might suggest you write to Jetstar to let them know you appreciated the actions.

Today, airlines are beginning to warm up to the notion of positive reinforcement and recognition of 'good' versus only being about negative feedback orientation.

I'll also say that front-line staff are motivated to positive feedback from past customers as there's a recognition that the passenger took the time, post-travel, to write about their experience.

.. and this positive feedback tends tor reinforce it and motive others to do the same..

Travel Safe,

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good customer service from Jetstar

It helps that Jetstar's call centre is based in Australia and operated by Jetstar employees not some anonymous call centre workers somewhere in the sub continent.

Now, if they could only get their planes to leave

on time....

GOBPI while I applaud your sentiment and agree with the notion, I think it's a poor reflection on todays society that it has become appropriate ford how gratitude to someone who has done their job well. After all, isn't it what they are paid to do? A simple 'thank you' to the employee should suffice. Now we feel the need to write testimonials in order to encourage others to do what they are paid to do.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
23,295 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good customer service from Jetstar

Oh Eva, I don't think it ever hurts to make a thank you a little more tangible, plus I do think it's always good to let the boss know the staff are doing their job well. I will do as GOPBI suggests.

Possibly the call centre is in Australia, but the staff I have spoken with whenever I had occasion to telephone have always had Asian accents of one sort or another. The lady I dealt with in the first instance had a strong Fillipina accent, not that that was any sort of issue, her English was perfectly understandable.

And I've flown Jetstar many times, and only been delayed once when it wasn't a weather issue (one time we were delayed as there was a severe hailstorm wrecking Perth just as we were supposed to be flying in).

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,678 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good customer service from Jetstar

Hi,

evamelb,

"GOBPI while I applaud your sentiment and agree with the notion, I think it's a poor reflection on todays society that it has become appropriate ford how gratitude to someone who has done their job well. After all, isn't it what they are paid to do? A simple 'thank you' to the employee should suffice. Now we feel the need to write testimonials in order to encourage others to do what they are paid to do.'

==> My rebuttal here would be your line of "... I think it's a poor reflection on todays society that..."

While I agree that it *should* not be necessary, I recognize that for whatever reason there has been an undeniable shift in the paradigm of how people respond and reply these days..

Gone are the days of "please" and "thank you" and have been replaced with "I demand" and "you must"....

Again, I too don't like it, but as I've stated before, I'm a realist. I recognize that for whatever reason, circumstances or causes, this is where "we" are today.

My point or advice to write a letter is to try in some small way to start that shift back to a position of balance, so that 'we' don't only write about bad, but also good.. and that applies to cases to really bad and really good..

It allows people and companies to see who and what is really working and perhaps drives positive policy changes. and on the negative side allows companies to see who, what and where is not working and develop plans to fix it..

So I think the feedback chain-- good and bad-- both have positive results..

I don't like the argument of "that's what they're paid to do" as I think that discounts extra effort.. which as I see it (a personal assessment) the OP got from Jetstar.. and by making it so that people don't take time to acknowledge these acts, tends to minimize them or create an atmosphere that says "Whatever, that's what you were supposed to do anyway"

Say what you will, but people ARE motivated by praise, validation and/or recognition.. and I think when that happens, it reaffirms what that person did as being the bench mark and most importantly, I think it makes them *want* to do it again.. and again, say what you will, the best motivator to getting good service really isn't external policies etc.. it's internal desire-- and that can be reaffirmed by positive reinforcement and validation.

Travel Safe,

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2,329 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good customer service from Jetstar

It's a poor reflection on some people who don't think it's necessary to complement anyone on their job. Everyone likes to feel valued and if you work in customer service, you do encounter so much negativity and so many complaints, so it's nice to get some praise and recognition once in a while. Great for motivation. Moreover, a letter from a customer or some other form of personal praise can often go on that employee's file, useful when one's contract is up for renewal, or promotions are up for grabs.

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,947 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Good customer service from Jetstar

I'm another who normally thinks that a simple 'thank-you' should suffice, but last year I went the extra mile and wrote to Jetstar thanking them for the extraordinary service we got from their staff at Gold Coast Airport.

My Brother in law had been diagnosed with cancer not long before we went to Cambodia. His condition worsened rapidly while we were away and we made the mad dash to get home in time. We re-booked flights from Phnom Penh to KL and KL to Gold Coast (both with Air Asia) but figured we could land in GC and get the next available flight back to Sydney. On arrival we switched the phone back to our aussie SIM and got a voice message that he had died while we were in the air, somewhere over central Australia.

Jetstar had cancelled a flight the night before and one that morning so things were chaotic at the desk to say the least. They were trying to get a whole plane-load of people re-scheduled and the desk staff were really under the pump from irate (and rude) customers. We, on the other hand were treated with enormous compassion, dignity and such care that I wanted to write and say thanks, and for the supervisors to know (and pass on) how grateful we were.

We recieved a lovely email back from the company thanking us for the time we took to write and letting us know the thanks had been passed on, and a copy of our email had been placed in the file of the two staff members we mentioned specifically.

We don't fly much domestically, but his one incident has meant I will now probably look at Jetstar first for any future domestic travel.

My husband runs a call centre (in another industry) and always says his staff get great pleasure knowing that someone is grateful when they have gone above and beyond.

Yorkfoodie... send that email, you may just make someone's day.

cheers

helen

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
15,762 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Good customer service from Jetstar

I am darn good at writing complaints - I pride myself on the effort I put into it.

BUT - at the other end of the scale I also ensure I send company CEO's and store managers etc a compliment when one of their staff has gone above and beyond.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Good customer service from Jetstar

I think the pertinent term here is 'above and beyond' and I agree that when this happens, as it did in Helen's case, it should be acknowledged, celebrated and applauded.

I would have thought that a Jetstar representative making a phone call to ensure that THEIR error had been rectified to the customers satisfaction hardly qualified as 'above and beyond'.