We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

when is the best time to buy tickets to europe?

Pueblo, Colorado
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
when is the best time to buy tickets to europe?

I have been checking prices for March of next year trip and I have been checking since June. Is there a month that is better then others for lower rates? I'm getting itchy because i don't want the prices to go up more then what I'm seeing now therefore I want to buy now or should I wait for another time later to buy for March 2013? Flying from the states to europe.thanks!

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,844 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: when is the best time to buy tickets to europe?

My philosophy: Find a fare you're happy with, book it directly from the airline, and don't look back.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,391 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: when is the best time to buy tickets to europe?

I think it's too early to buy for travel in March 2013.

Although past performance is never a guarantee of future performance with air fares, there is a strong possibility that airlines will offer sales for travel early next year.

Reduced fares may appear at an airline's website without any hint of SALE ON NOW banner headlines at the home page: make a dummy booking for your dates and find a pleasant surprise. I found substantial discounts twice this year (for flights to Europe) just by checking on spec.

Choose the airline(s) with which you'd like to travel and keep an eye on the websites. Sales may be offered before the end of the year, but you might have to hold on for reductions from mid January. If in the interim you find a fare you can live with then book it and be happy to have done so.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
13,166 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: when is the best time to buy tickets to europe?

You should be able to get a decent price for March, but don't expect an unrealistic fare unless you want just any old airline.

For instance, I consider $937. DEN-ZURICH-DEN on Swiss International/United a pretty good deal since Swiss is one of the better carriers (the United part is domestic US only)

try matrix.itasoftware.com/view/flights… and use the calendar option

the real sales of the past are history - airlines have cut capacity across the board to save money (fewer seats for you and me)

Edited: 17 August 2012, 01:02
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,042 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: when is the best time to buy tickets to europe?

I agree that it is too early to see any "sale" fares for March.

The airlines usually have sales 1 season before travel so for spring it would be in winter. The only difference this year might be that Easter week is in late March this year so IF that is the week you are traveling you may not find any sale prices at all at ANY time!

For me any price under $1,000 is the start of a good price.

The farther below 1,000 the better!!!

Edited: 17 August 2012, 02:26
Pueblo, Colorado
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: when is the best time to buy tickets to europe?

Thanks for reply's i will take your advice and wait till winter. the best price i found today was like $750. if we fly into dallas/ft worth airport.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
481 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: when is the best time to buy tickets to europe?

Round trip? I would have bought it.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,042 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: when is the best time to buy tickets to europe?

Are you kidding! $750 round trip??? Book it NOW!

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
433 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: when is the best time to buy tickets to europe?

"if we fly into dallas/ft worth airport". I thought you were flying to Europe!

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,042 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: when is the best time to buy tickets to europe?

He means he is flying from Colorado THROUGH Dallas/Ft.Worth and on to Europe.

Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
1,718 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: when is the best time to buy tickets to europe?

Last May 2011 I bought a round trip ticket from Washington Dulles to London Heathrow for $940 for Sept. 2011 travel.

Within weeks that summer the price fell to $840 and below, so I felt I'd jumped too soon.

For travel in December/January 2012 on the same route, British Airways had prices of $850-ish the early part of August this year. United didn't come off their $970-ish fare.

But I just thought I'd bought too soon last year, so although getting a little nervous I'm holding off a little longer this year.

That's my recent experience.

So waiting till winter might be the thing to do for spring travel.