We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Virgin atlantic flight to las Vegas

Suffolk
Level Contributor
94 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Virgin atlantic flight to las Vegas

Hi, we are due to fly premium ecconomy with Virgin Atlantic from Gatwick to Las Vegas at the end of Sep 2012, can any body confirm the following:

Will we have a refurbished aircraft?

What are the seating arrangements for premium ecconomy - is the upper deck a mix of PE and E, is PE now all downstairs?

I have heard that there is not as much leg room in PE downstairs on the refurbished planes, is this true

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,829 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Virgin atlantic flight to las Vegas

I don't think there's any way you can be sure - they are still using a mixture of old and refurbished aircraft on that route. A friend who flew Gatwick to Vegas and back with them a few weeks ago had an old aircraft on the way out, and a new one on the way back. She paid for an exit row seat in economy outbound, and was in PE on the return leg and was perfectly happy with both flights. But she's not a regular Virgin PE flyer, so might well not have noticed if the legroom had been reduced. It seems odd though - why would Virgin mess with what has always been a good product? There must be a lot of travellers who are reluctant to fly 10 hours squashed up in economy (I am certainly one) but couldn't possibly justify or afford the cost of upper class.

Do let us know what you think of your flights - Virgin's standards seem to have slipped considerably over the past few years. Their Gatwick routes have always been of a lower standard than the Heathrow ones, so it will be interesting to hear if the refurb is doing the trick, or if the problems run deeper than knackered aircraft. They've had competition from BA on the Vegas route for a few years now, so I was hopeful things would improve once the refurbed aircraft appeared.

nottingham
Level Contributor
264 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Virgin atlantic flight to las Vegas

We are flying from Heathrow to SanFrancisco in Sept with Virgin. Wondered the same thing will we have a refurbished plane or not. We are in premium economy for the first time looking forward to having a bit more space on such a long flight.

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,829 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Virgin atlantic flight to las Vegas

I don't believe Virgin are making any changes to their services out of Heathrow. These have always used newer aircraft and (this is a big generalisation, but I've always been convinced it exists) offered a more upmarket service. Pure guesswork, but I assume it's because the Heathrow routes carry a lot of business travellers and have to compete with BA and other full-service airlines. Virgin's Gatwick flights predominantly carry holidaymakers to places like Vegas, Orlando and the Caribbean where there is less competition for non-stop flights, if there is competition it's mainly charter, and many of the passengers booked a package rather than specifically chose Virgin.

4. Re: Virgin atlantic flight to las Vegas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 04:16