We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Connection flight in Madrid and baggage

Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Topic
Connection flight in Madrid and baggage

Hello.

I have only flown non-direct flights once in the past and next week I will for the second time and I fear that I won't make it in time between two connecting flights.

This is my itinerary:

IB 7867 Tel Aviv 06:00 to Madrid 10:30

AA 5673 Madrid 12:00 to Miami 15:30

AA 2139 Miami 20:00 to Cancun 20:35

As you can see, between landing in Madrid and departing Madrid I have 90 minutes. In both flights I am booked under Iberia, but both flights are operated by ELAL and American Airlines.

In the one connection flight I flew in the past it was 2 flights, both were Alitalia flights and both booked through alitalia website so my luggage was checked all the way from the departing country to my destination and I didn't need to claim the baggage before the connecting flight and check it again.

This time, it's booked with an agent from Argentina and I have no way of really know how will it work. Will Iberia be transferring my luggage from one airplane to the other? Or do I need to go out, take my luggage in baggage claim and re-check it again with passport control and security check and all? Because if I need to claim it and re-check it, there's a good chance I won't make it to the connecting flight...

I would appreciate any help from personal knowledge and experience.

Thank you!

Efrat.

Marrakech
Level Contributor
3,593 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Connection flight in Madrid and baggage

I haven't done this flight route but I have done 3 connecting flights with different airlines. Each time I asked for my luggage to be checked through to the final airport and each time my luggage made it. If you ask for your luggage to be checked to the final airport you will then be able to stay in the airport transit area at each airport and you should make the connections (as long as you don't have any flight delays).

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
6,563 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Connection flight in Madrid and baggage

Please read the answers to the same question you posted on Fodor's:

fodors.com/community/air-travel/connection-f…

Check in at the El Al counters at Tel Aviv, not Iberia.

Your Madrid-Miami flight is operated by Iberia, not American.

You will not need to collect bags, nor go through immigration or customs at Madrid. Both your arriving and departing flights will operate from Terminal 4S; all you'll do is go through security. You may need to get your MAD-MIA boarding pass in Madrid if it wasn't given to you at Ben Gurion. Your 90 min. connection time at MAD is ample.

Miami is one of a couple of US airports where you may not need to claim and re-check your luggage after going through US customs. You WILL have to go through US immigration at Miami. However, as I mentioned on Fodor's, you should pay close attention at Tel Aviv as to where your bags are tagged. If you need to claim then in Miami, you have plenty of time to collect them and re-check them to Cancun. El Al's people at TLV may or may not know that you can check bags all the way to Cancun without the need to reclaim them in Miami - be sure to ask them on this matter.

Edited: 20 August 2012, 02:06
Italy
Level Contributor
39,496 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Connection flight in Madrid and baggage

I think you will be very lucky to catch the Cancun flight even without collecting the luggage, 35 minutes isn't very long so start running as soon as you get off the plane.

tucson, az
Level Contributor
4,036 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Connection flight in Madrid and baggage

>>I think you will be very lucky to catch the Cancun flight even without collecting the luggage, 35 minutes isn't very long so start running as soon as you get off the plane<<

I think Builds means the flight is from 20:00 to 20:35.

5. Re: Connection flight in Madrid and baggage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 20 August 2012, 11:48
6. Re: Connection flight in Madrid and baggage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2013, 05:16