We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has anyone flown Sunwing Airlines from Cincinnati to Cancun?

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
1,293 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Has anyone flown Sunwing Airlines from Cincinnati to Cancun?

I have been reading horror stories about Sunwing airlines (mostly for Europeon flights to Canada) but it's still the same airline.

We bought a vacation package to Cancun from Vacation Express who are now using Sunwing airlines flying from Cincinnati and I am getting more nervous the more I read about Sunwing.

Has anyone else used them from the US to Cancun (or elsewhere?) Did they leave on time? How are the seats? I heard they have very little leg room. What was the quality of the flight overall?

Thanks in advance,

Beechluver

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
1,293 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Has anyone flown Sunwing Airlines from Cincinnati to Cancun?

Thank you Melissa! You've made my day with your post!!!!

It's really good to hear some positive remarks about Sunwing from the folks on this board after reading all the horror stories on some of the other blogs.

I'll be sure to post a review after our trip in Oct. (I hope it is a duplicate of yours) :-)

Happy Travels!

Beechluver

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Has anyone flown Sunwing Airlines from Cincinnati to Cancun?

They are strict about their luggage. The carry on must be what they say in size and weight and anything over 44lbs.(for the combined weight of two pieces) per person on their checked luggage would be subject to $5 for every 2.2lbs. This of course is from Canada, but I would assume it would be the same from CVG.

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
1,293 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Has anyone flown Sunwing Airlines from Cincinnati to Cancun?

What are the restrictions on the carry-on luggage? I couldn't find any information about it on their website. Do they weigh carry-on?

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Has anyone flown Sunwing Airlines from Cincinnati to Cancun?

Carry-on baggage is restricted to one standard article with maximum dimensions of 23 x 40 x 51 cm (9 x 16 x 20 in).The weight of a Carry-on bag cannot exceed 5kg. Any carry-on bag that exceeds these specified limits must be prepared for check-in and will be charged at the applicable airline rate per kg, for each direction.

This is from their terms and conditions. The weight is 11lbs, so you would be charged $5/2.2lbs or you could just be denied to bring it. I have seen them weigh it, and I've not been weighed. Sorry to be so vague:)

dayton, ohio
Level Contributor
1 post
80 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Has anyone flown Sunwing Airlines from Cincinnati to Cancun?

Hey Beechluver,

When are you going to Cancun??

Cincinnati, Ohio
9 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Has anyone flown Sunwing Airlines from Cincinnati to Cancun?

We are flying out of CVG September 5th. We booked through Expedia and I didn't even see that airline as a choice. We booked AA for very inexpensive. Hope all turns out well!!!!!

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
1,293 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Has anyone flown Sunwing Airlines from Cincinnati to Cancun?

We fly out of CVG on Sept. 30th and return on Oct. 7th. We went through Vacation Express who uses solely Sunwing.

We're staying at the Grand Yucatan Princess (in the Grand Riviera/Sunset Princess resort). 33 days to go!

Happy Travels!

Wilmington, Ohio
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Has anyone flown Sunwing Airlines from Cincinnati to Cancun?

I went on sunwing on August 3-10 to Dominican Republic from CVG and I thought it was GREAT, for the price. They give you a meal and a movie and everyone is going the same place so there is no confusion. You get to check a bag for free which is almost unheard of these days. It is amazing how much easier it is to get around the airport without a bag. I would fly them again in a heartbeat. The only thing I would say is that the seats are small but most are these days.

Frankfort, Kentucky
5 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: Has anyone flown Sunwing Airlines from Cincinnati to Cancun?

So how was your flight with Sunwing Airlines? As we fly out in 2days and was wondering how it was. Thanks, Sable

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
1,293 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Has anyone flown Sunwing Airlines from Cincinnati to Cancun?

The flight was fine. It left on time and arrived in Cancun ahead of schedule. I am really happy that we went with the Elite upgrade because we didn't have to wait in the long lines to check in. The "hot meal" they serve on the plane was a small cheese pizza stick thing but it was hot and made a nice snack (def not a meal but much better than what you get on Delta or USA 3000). The seats ARE VERY SMALL and when the person in front of you puts his/her seat back, it is literally inches away from your face. The next time I fly Sunwing, I will definitely upgrade to the Elite Plus ($40 a person each way) to get the seats with a bit more room in between the rows. My hubby is 6'3" and had his knees scrunched into the back of the seat in front of him the whole time. Not comfortable at all.

Other than the small seating area, Sunwing was great with good service, free wine with meals, little chocolates, hot snacks and good in-flight movies.

Enjoy your trip!!!

Beechluver