We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flight "weekend surcharge" ?

Yeovil, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Flight "weekend surcharge" ?

I recently booked a flight with cathay pacific thro' crystal travel,london. All was confirmed and then the same evening i had a call to say they had to add on £29 to my credit card as there was a "weekend surcharge". Is this right ?

Has anyone heard of this surcharge before ?

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
2,392 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flight "weekend surcharge" ?

have you checked out the CP website to see if this is true?

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flight "weekend surcharge" ?

Yes, many airlines have weekend surcharges. To add it later is very odd as the ticket price should be set when you book it.

Unless, and this is what I gather has happened, is that Crystal Travel is booking thru a consolidator and quoted you this price, but when they went to confirm it and have it ticketed by their consolidator, realized it was on a weekend and they hadn't quoted the weekend surcharge.

This is totally a legit charge as far as that goes, but I would argue with Crystal that this is what we agreed on, you had already paid and been invoiced and you expect them to hold up their end of the bargain. Whether this works or not with Crystal, I'm not sure, but you can pretty sure this is a legit charge.

I would just argue that you had an agreement. I guess they could turn around and say that they will just have to cancel the whole trip if they aren't willing to eat the cost.

Of course, I'm assuming they were using a bulk fare with a consolidator.

That is my best guess, but weekend surhcarges do exist.

Hants, UK
Level Contributor
2,811 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flight "weekend surcharge" ?

We try to fly on a Weds, it's usually cheaper

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flight "weekend surcharge" ?

I note they offer insurance for £29. Could this be what they are charging you for? There is not any "surcharge" for weekend flights that I can see. That's ridiculous.

Yeovil, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flight "weekend surcharge" ?

Thanks...that got a ring of truth in it. I guess I'm unhappy as I paid top dollar and they still managad to sting me for more. I won't use crystal travel again.

Opodo are more reliable.

Brechin, United...
Destination Expert
for Disneyland Paris, Marne-la-Vallee
Level Contributor
6,439 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flight "weekend surcharge" ?

Crystal travel must be bad then!

Yeovil, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flight "weekend surcharge" ?

The insurance offered is £37 so i don't think it was that.

More like under quoting.

Their web site can be inaccurate.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flight "weekend surcharge" ?

gracie-boo: there are absolutely weekend charges charged by many airlines and consolidators. This is a legit charge, but as my previous post says, I would argue with Crystal that a price was agreed upon and paid and they woudl have to eat their own mistake.

A weekend charge is totally normal (especially by consolidators which is what I assum was booked since if it was direct with the airline, you would see the actual charge, with a consolidator, they have a price and then you add on for weekends, taxes, etc.). I don't think the original poster was screwed, just misinformed by Crystal and therefore, Crystal should have eaten to keep their client happy. That they didnt' do that says something about Crystal, not the airline.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flight "weekend surcharge" ?

never ever heard of a weekend surcharge. for airfares anyway.

but then again by legislation base fares in australia have to be quoted all inclusive.

Nannup, Australia
Level Contributor
3,652 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flight "weekend surcharge" ?

So what, exactly, is a week end surcharge for? Is it for travelling on a weekend; for making the booking on a weekend; using their website on a weekend? I have never heard of this, but I've been out of the game for a few years now - never saw or heard of it during my time.