We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

long enough layover at JFK?

Niagara-on-the-Lake...
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
long enough layover at JFK?

I am travelling from Buffalo to JFK then onward to JNB. Is a 90 min layover adequate to make the second flight?

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
13,161 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: long enough layover at JFK?

Most international tickets require you to be at the airport 2 hrs in advance - I say no

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
24 posts
490 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: long enough layover at JFK?

I could not have made my past domestic to international connections at JFK in 90 min since all involved a long walk, a train ride to another terminal, then

l-o-n-g TSA lines for yet another security check, and then hunt for my gate.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,339 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: long enough layover at JFK?

If you are traveling on a through-ticket though, meaning you would have checked in all the way to JNB at Buffalo, then this is a legal connection that is also practical. Still, I would have preferred a two-hour connection since there are often delays at JFK.

If you are on two separate tickets that require you to check-in again once you arrive at JFK, then it is indeed way too tight.

Edited: 23 August 2012, 04:20
Niagara-on-the-Lake...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: long enough layover at JFK?

thanks for the helpful advice, all

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: long enough layover at JFK?

You'll be protected if it's a through ticket in the sense that if you do miss your flight because of the queues etc they are obliged to put you on the next available flight but if you can get a flight with a longer connection it will be less stressful

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
13,161 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: long enough layover at JFK?

Download the JFK terminal map - can you walk it or take the Airtrain? which airline to which airline?

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
18,588 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: long enough layover at JFK?

"if you do miss your flight because of the queues etc they are obliged to put you on the next available flight "

Note that next available flight means a flight with empty seats which might or might not be the next actual flight - they are not required to bump passengers to seat delayed passengers.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: long enough layover at JFK?

DOnt think its enough time - you should have at LEAST 2 hours. And if you have to check-in for flight to JNB, allow more time....Hopefully bags checked thru.

R U Flying Jetblue for first leg of trip, if so, Jetblue doesnt have agreements with some airlines, so you'll want to find out if you have to pickup your luggage and recheck in next terminal.

its quite a "schlep" to get to the airtrain, and in some cases you will have to Circle the entire airport to get to a terminal next door.

What airline BUF-JFK, and what airline JFK-JNB?

torquay
Level Contributor
241 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: long enough layover at JFK?

You will be fine, 90 minutes will be more than enough. Ive been through JFK 3 times in the last 2 years on International flights and got to my connecting flight in plenty of time and I had to go through immigration and pick up my suitcases and depost them at the connecting flight baggage drop. Don't worry......Cheers ..Rich

10. Re: long enough layover at JFK?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2013, 05:17