We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Who pays to reserve seats on BA ?

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
11,094 posts
151 reviews
Save Topic
Who pays to reserve seats on BA ?

Last year when I flew with BA to New York, it cost £10 each way to reserve a seat before the 24 hour free selection started.

Just checked my BA flight to Toronto in 10 days time, it now costs £28 each way to reserve a seat.

I find this quite a high charge, bearing in mind I usually fly with Emirates where there is no charge at all.

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,622 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Who pays to reserve seats on BA ?

As I have a BA executive club gold card I can pick my seats for FREE

Buckinghamshire...
Level Contributor
3,096 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Who pays to reserve seats on BA ?

Sounds a bit pricey, imagine a family of 4 wanting to sit together and it would cost them quite a lot if its £28 each way. (£224). It would definitely make me think twice about what airline I booked with. We usually go with Emirates/Qatar/Etihad, because they do the routes we like, costs are good and no silly extras like paying to reserve seats etc.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,328 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Who pays to reserve seats on BA ?

The answer: people who value it more than you. Just because you perceive it as a rip off doesn't mean the whole world does. For some people paying a small supplement to get a better WT seat is good if they can't afford/justify WT+

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
14,298 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Who pays to reserve seats on BA ?

I did on my last long haul BA flight. Paid for exit row seats in economy on the way out and to pick my seats in WT+ coming back. I wouldn't pay to pick an ordinary economy seat and there are usually plenty to choose from when online check-in opens.

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
11,094 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Who pays to reserve seats on BA ?

Well I suppose for some travellers, moneys not really an issue, but for many travellers, it is, especially the ones who have to fly in economy.

Including my connecting flights from/to Newcastle to Heathrow (£8 fee each way), the seat reservation fee comes to £72 per person. Its a fair bit of money for a family to pay, on top of the actual flight price.

Just thought I'd mention it anyway :)

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
42,514 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Who pays to reserve seats on BA ?

It's not a compulsory payment. If you wait for OLCI in it is free. if you want certainty, or near certainty as no advance seat selection is 100% guaranteed even if you pay, then with BA it comes at a price.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
710 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Who pays to reserve seats on BA ?

Interesting, i only thought this "paying for your seat" was used be the cheaper airlines/charters. Wouldn't expect BA to have this. Maybe I flew with the middle east/asian airlines too much.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Who pays to reserve seats on BA ?

I'm with lex,,,pay to reserve exit row or bulkhead or seats you particularly want and have a benefit to you. Past that just check in on line the very moment olci opens and do it for free. I also get them for free on BA, but this is what I would do if I did not.

Scotland
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Who pays to reserve seats on BA ?

I have paid to reserve 64A, because I value the '64A experience' as more than £80 better than the combination of my time checking and checking availability and the risk of ending up in an inferior seat.

I have never paid to reserve a short haul seat on BA, and find it difficult to conceive of a time when I would.

Edited: 25 August 2012, 18:07
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
55,426 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Who pays to reserve seats on BA ?

There are no set rules. I don't think we can judge each other's valuation of money vs a guaranteed type of seat.

In general, I believe the following people are willing to pay for seats:

1. Business travelers on company expense

2. Long haul flyers are more likely to pay vs short haul flyers

3. The higher grade the cabin (WT+, Club World, First), the more likely the traveler is willing to pay since the cost represents a smaller percentage of the ticket cost

4. People with certain physical attributes or health concerns (very tall or larger sized people, and people who have to go to the toilet or get out and stretch often)

I also get free seat choice on BA owing to my Oneworld status. In the US, I have bought seats before on longer domestic flights when necessary. US-based airlines still charge less than BA which I think is quite expensive.