We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel insurance

G G
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
485 posts
Save Topic
Travel insurance

I am looking for some suggestions for budget travel insurance for my budget camping safari trip for 3 weeks.

I'm in excellent health and not planning doing any adventure sports other than sitting on the vehicle during the safari.

My main concern would be medical extraction, and medical just in case. I've notice the premiums are very high for the mature traveler.

I have never got trip, baggage insurance is it worth it. How early should I get the coverage I'm leaving Oct 1st

Edited: 26 August 2012, 20:09
G G
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
485 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Travel insurance

McVisor,

Thanks for reminding me about "when" to get insurance. I have been so wrap up with the trip that I have overlooked all the $$$ that I already laid down. I'm glad that I am looking into right now.

I have gotten travel insurance long time ago, but they all started on departure date not prior. I guess I didn't have the right coverage.

Maried,

It could be my own ignorance, but the few travel insurance I've seen provide coverage but you need to come up the payment up front, then filing a claim. However, the extraction portion was all included.

But you are right this is the US. I need to check further to see what's available. Please let me know if you have any information of that type of coverage in the US, even the name of the this type of coverage would be great, thanks

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,714 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Travel insurance

swansee--You can opt for what you want with the medical. That is what we do,. Just call and talk to the representative and let them know what you want and they can work it out for you.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Travel insurance

Canada to US may be very differnt, but here are the insurance companies I have sold over the years.

RBC Insurance

Mutual of Omaha

Voyageur Insurance

TIC

They all paid directly to the hospital, clinic, etc. if you called first had your policy #, etc. Obviously, if you are in an accident and cannot call, this wouldn't be the case.

In my husband's case, he was in with the Dr. so I called RBC while he was doing that and got the claim going and it was taken care of before I left, but I have taken my son to the DR. and was in with him so didn't call and just paid and was refunded upon return.

Also, what I love about RBC Insurance (which is what I sell now) is that they pay you back in full. Then they fight with your gov't insurance or any health plan you may have that would partially cover you so you don';t have to deal with a bunch of companies.

That's my sales pitch for the day.lol

But seriously, so important to have and to make sure you have a good insurance company and policy.

G G
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
485 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Travel insurance

thanks I will check into. I just have a bit of distraction. I just received an email via this forum from someone that just returned from a safari with the company that I have booked in NBO.

The report didn't come back too positive. I have contacted the operator and they explained their side and are even offering to refund my deposit w/o asking.

It seems now my attention has shifted from insurance to "now what". There's always something

G G
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
485 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Travel insurance

maried

I just finished talking to insuremytrip. They told me all medical coverages I need to pay up front then file a claim, there's no coverage in the US that would pay for coverage up front.

Because I'm applying after I made the first payment, I'd be subject to 60 days checking of my medical history for any pre-ex condition.

However, the medical extraction is unlimited but you need to go through several blessings in order to be transported but at the end I guess I'd have to get that type of coverage in the event of a catastrophy

I haven't checked the other companies, will be doing it now

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
664 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Travel insurance

<< They told me all medical coverages I need to pay up front then file a claim, there's no coverage in the US that would pay for coverage up front.>>

I'm sorry you are now reconsidering your tour ... but anyway, on the above point, look at this hypothetical medical situation from both ends. OK, you might have to pay up front, but what would that mean on the ground in your destination? Will they admit and start treating you while talking about the bill or will they leave you by the side of the road? And will the bill in Kenyan shillings or whatever it is seem very small to the traveler - even the low-budget traveler - who has US dollars?

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Travel insurance

I just know that in Mexico, a 1/2 hour to an hour visit for my husband's swimmer's ear was $900 and was paid before we even left the hospital. I know that if you can't call, you can't call and you pay up front and then get it back, but if you can call, it is very handy.

But I guess the medical insurance sold in the states is not like here in Canada. Not all of our insurance companies pay up front, but we prefer to deal mostly with the kind that will, that is unlimited and has no deductible.

G G
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
485 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: Travel insurance

Yes unfortunately it's very different outside from Canada

No master what I'd need to make some set up to have an emergency large amount of $$$

in case I need it . It kinda defeats getting ins

WhO has access to thousands of $$$$$ these days to pay up front for med treatment in a foreign country

19. Re: Travel insurance

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2013, 10:16