We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What time to check in ????

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
754 posts
106 reviews
Save Topic
What time to check in ????

I am booked on a flight next week with KLM , MAN-AMS-DXB although it is classed as longhaul do i still have to check in 3 hours prior to my first flight leaving with the first leg of the flight being shorthaul , im not sure what to do ?

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What time to check in ????

I would. You could do two, but is there really something important you need to do with the extra hour? We had someone on here recently who gave it two from Newcastle to London on the first leg and missed it...

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,534 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What time to check in ????

I always stick with the 3 hr rule - it's an extra hour at home or at the airport.

Do you have something that important to do at home - you can easily hit congestion getting to the airport and if everything goes ok it's easy to fill in an hour at the airport.

How would you feel if you decided to gamble on less than 3hrs and missed the flight because of traffic/check in queues/security queues etc.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
754 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What time to check in ????

Thanks Froggy , i think i will do the 3 hour im in for a long day so another hour wont make a difference .

Watford, United...
Level Contributor
5,034 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What time to check in ????

Don't chance it. You never know wht security will be like.

Do three hours and chill at the airport, enjoy a coffee and board your flight relaxed.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What time to check in ????

As Froggy says, what is it that's so important you are planning to do in that one hour that is worth jeopardising several thousand pounds worth of tickets should the unexpected but foreseeable occur - traffic jam, security queues, whatever.

These forums have numerous stories of people who lost thousands of pounds or dollars because they were "only" 5 minutes late, essentially because they cut their arrival at the airport too close. There was even someone the other day asking where he could stop near the airport once he got there as if it was not allowed to get there early.

Your choice, I'd rather have an hour to kill at the airport than be arguing the toss over why all my tickets were cancelled because it wasn't my fault that there was an accident on the motorway.

Edit: I see you made IMO the sensible decision. I am a very slow typist obviously !

Edited: 28 August 2012, 21:35
Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,705 posts
539 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What time to check in ????

Years ago, my thing was to be the last one on-board... But times were different. And I'm a bit more grizzled now... So my thing is to be on-board with no stress! Far better! And how nice to get a drink, relaxed, thinking everything is set...

Don't gamble! Be there 3 hours ahead...

Staffordshire...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
16,789 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What time to check in ????

I'd rather be bored waiting at the airport than stuck in a road traffic queue. Aim for 3 hours before.

Hants, UK
Level Contributor
2,867 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What time to check in ????

We are doing our 1st Club class flight next year, I'm thinking of checking in about a week early...........

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,620 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What time to check in ????

yes-7 days in the lounge eating and drinking -great idea

uk
Level Contributor
2,686 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What time to check in ????

I always find it odd people who are late, I would have a complete breakdown if I was not at airport at least 3 hours early actually I aim for 4 and I live 25 mins from LHR, for my upcoming trip to Thailand I've suggested ( told) my travelling companion to be there 4 hours early so I can sort out assistance, do luggage. Get through immigration then I can sit and relax in a Lounge before flight. On return I've built in a 6 hour margin with our connecting flight, all on one ticket, I would say that is the most important thing I've learnt from this forum, is to have your flights on one ticket.

Deb