We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help with travel from PIT to GLA

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
384 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
help with travel from PIT to GLA

Hi:

I'm having trouble finding flights for a trip we're planning for next May to Scotland. We'd like to fly out of PIT and we'd like to find the shortest flights (we're seniors and have difficulty sitting for long periods).

We'd also like to avoid Newark Airport. Aside from very long flights and schedules, about the only thing I found was that perhaps we'd be better off booking a flight to Boston and then another flight to (and from) GLA.

Some of the schedules I've found are insane, some calling for layovers of 10-12 hrs!

I'd appreciate any advice you could give us.

Sandy

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: help with travel from PIT to GLA

kayak.com will give you possible itineraries for your dates.

Buying 2 separate tickets is a bad idea. The 2nd flight will go down the drain (and will have to buy a new ticket) if the first flight is delayed.

Edited: 30 August 2012, 19:46
Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,791 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: help with travel from PIT to GLA

You might want to also consider flying to Edinburgh as this increases your options - Air France would fly from PIT to Paris and then from Paris to Edinburgh.

United would fly to/from Glasgow but this means going via Newark which you want to avoid.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,968 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: help with travel from PIT to GLA

Looking at the GLA webpage, it looks like UA (Newark) and US (Philadelphia) are the only two US carriers that fly there. If you can't get a decent connection on US via PHL, and don't want to go via EWR, you will have to make your connection in Europe somewhere.

The only Europe flight I see out of PIT is Delta, to Paris CDG. You could then take Air France to GLA. I don't know of anyone who would recommend connecting in CDG if there are other options.

I dont' see any non-stop flights from BOS to GLA, so not sure why you think that would be a better connection point.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
670 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: help with travel from PIT to GLA

Part of your problem is that there aren't that many flights in/out of either PIT or GLA.

All I see by collating the info below is you can go USAir via Philly. Should you wish to go USAir.

I don't see that you can go BOS-GLA.

You can go via Toronto but I don't recognise the airlines, they may be charters.

Look at the website for Glasgow airport.

glasgowairport.com/flight-information/destin…

Use this information to figure out whether you can live with any of the non-stop flights that go to Glasgow.

Try this list of non-stop flights out of PIT, because that's another part of the problem

www.flypittsburgh.com/daily_nonstop_flights

This is the list of airlines that operate out of PIT if you'd like to work that way

http://www.flypittsburgh.com/airlines

Pretty much you would be going through somewhere as bad or worse than Newark - ORD, Detroit, Atlanta. If you come through ATL I promise to think of you.

Don't worry about mixing airlines to an extent. Look at the most important carrier to you -I prefer to got BA but that means going through London - they will have code-sharing agreements putting you another airline if needed for the flight out of PIT.

Since in any case you have to allow insane amounts of time for check in etc you could consider spending even more time and breaking your journey/sleeping over en route. Or of course spend insane amounts of money buying the ability to lie down overnight.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,553 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: help with travel from PIT to GLA

Unless you want 2 stop connections you are pretty much limited to EWR, PHL or CDG. But they are 50% more expensive than 2 stop options

Perhaps you should consider flying to a major hub, have an overnight stay, then fly on, doing the same on the way back

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,867 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: help with travel from PIT to GLA

Have a look at Icelandair from JFK or BOS. Flights from KEF (Keflavik airport for Reykjavik) to GLA may be seasonal, but I think FI fly to EDI all year around.

FI are a solid airline, not fancy but one that gets the job done. Making a change at KEF is very easy as it's an efficient small airport; if you want to stop over in Iceland to break the journey you may do so for a few dollars more.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
40,968 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: help with travel from PIT to GLA

PIT to EWR then GLA. 11 hours each way on United. Otherwise fly to Manchester then take the train to Glasgow. 10 hours outboutnd 11 inbound on US Airways Via Phillidelphia.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
537 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: help with travel from PIT to GLA

Icelandair fly from Keflavik to Glasgow year round. They don't fly to Edinburgh at all.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
384 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: help with travel from PIT to GLA

Thanks for all the suggestions! I've looked at all the ossible options and none of them are very appealig.

US Airways operates from Philly, but they use the dreaded 757 with that single aisle!

United seems to have the best connections, but gotta go thru EWR.

I think I'll start checking flights to Edinburgh and see if there's a better option.

Thanks again for taking the time to try to help.

Sandy

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: help with travel from PIT to GLA

PIT-EDI - all through Newark Airport>

1611 one way...mid -may. Lufthansa has shorter flt time - 11-12 hours. (3H layover at EWR).