We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying with a baby - tips?

uk
Level Contributor
3,554 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Flying with a baby - tips?

Next week we are flying from Manchester to Copenhagen with our daughter who will be 5 weeks old.

My OH and I are both very experienced travellers and know both MAN and CPH Airports very very well. We're travelling with SAS whom my OH has a gold card with.

However I feel our previous travel style is a bit different to how it might be with baby in tow, I used to think I'd over packed if I had two pieces of hand luggage.

Any tips on easing the journey greatly received.

P.S. For those that are interested 'Borisina' entered the world very quickly and safely on 7th August interrupting mummy's viewing of the Olympic Triathalon. She is perfect but keeping mummy pretty busy....things have settled down a bit now and we're getting a good routine so hopefully I'll be back posting more.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,380 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying with a baby - tips?

First of all MAZEL TOV ( congratulations) on "Borisina"s" birth. Her interrupting your Olympic viewing was her first ( of many) messages to you that SHE is the boss and you and hubby are just her faithful servants--whose role is to serve when and how needed!

I think your day's of minimal packing have ended. Area you getting her a seat. ( I hope so) That means you need the car seat, and diapers and food and clothing changes--all for the plane.

Of course you also need food for Copenhagen ( unless you are nursing) Diapers--why not ask on that forum about availability and cost. Odds are you don't have to drag them along!

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
36,613 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying with a baby - tips?

COngrats on the new arrival. My frined and her newish arrival just left for Brazil Saturday. According to her other half she packed two large very heavy carry on bags with EVERYTHING she needed for the flight. She put them in the overhead and never touched them the whole flight.

So this is your first. Take my advice and pack half what you think you will need. Been a while since I flew with babies but:

Extra Nappies in case of delay (not the whole packet!!)

travel baby wipes.

Small container ot talk. There is no need to pack halk a kilo.

If you are breast feeding then you are already carrying food LOL!

In other words pack light. Carrying the little 'un is work enough.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying with a baby - tips?

Congratulations:)) and well done. I hope all is good. Don't pack light,, I'm with rdglady, take what you need and extras, you really don't want to be running about trying to stock up on The right stuff and your days of mimimal packing really are over for a period..but it does get easier!!

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,058 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying with a baby - tips?

congratulations on the new arrival - travel will be completely different now.

It's been a long time since I've flown with babies, but the basics remain the same. If you are nursing, then you've solved all the major problems. Food is always ready and always the right temp - if you're not nursing, I'll let others help out since I have no experience with that.

Take extra nappies (diapers) - don't depend on the cabin crew and you never know how many you'll need. One change of clothes for the baby and a blanket will do it.

For the flight itself - try to be nursing during take off and landing, this will solve the problem of pressure in her ears and she'll be happier.

Beyond that - relax, enjoy - there is no right or wrong - you'll sort things out and find your own best way to go.

K30
Cornwall
Level Contributor
609 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flying with a baby - tips?

Again, plenty of nappies and a change of clothes, maybe two. poop just runs out of them at that age and all it takes is just one tiny edge of nappy to be folded in...... Sit someplace quite so little one does not get overwhelmed, especially if they get searched (yep actually patted down) like my little guy did. dont even bother attempting a sit down meal just grab sandwiches or whatever (learnt this one the hard way in a verg noisy Giraffes T5). If breastfeeding, a big muslin/light blanket for privacy. the only way my little one would settle on a recent flight was by me feeding him the entire flight. Thank goodness it was shorthaul.

Congratulations. Being a parent is awesome!

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,924 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flying with a baby - tips?

Congratulations!!

The fun begins. All good advice. They have babies in Copenhagen so you can get stuff there. Breast feeding makes traveling sooooo much easier.

In addition to all the things people have suggested you should take on the flight can I add a change of clothes for yourself and a large plastic bag.

That baby vomit or baby pooh doesn't always stick to the little Borasinas of the world and there's nothing worse than trying to clean it off yourself with a baby wipe.

Our first flight 'with child' - he was 3 weeks old at the time - and after a feed it seemed to come out of him both ends at once - all over OH. No change of clothes and after half an hour in the aircraft toilets he came out dressed but soaking wet. He had to wash shirt and trousers in the hand basin. Ugggghhh!!

7. Re: Flying with a baby - tips?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 03 September 2012, 14:35
uk
Level Contributor
2,686 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flying with a baby - tips?

I wish they would make a report button on the iPhone app !

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flying with a baby - tips?

Oh my, talk about hijacking a thread.

Michael i hope Mary gets sorted, I have no clue on the law in bringing in 150k of gold via a flight into the us, but am not surprised she has been detained. This would make most people pause and think. If the gold was legally obtained she will be able to prove that. Why she is looking to take it all to the united states in this particular form is beyond me.

uk
Level Contributor
3,554 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flying with a baby - tips?

Thanks everybody.

I'm nursing so that does make things easier. Nursing on take off is a good idea.

The flight is less than two hours and baby is 5 weeks old so we haven't got a seat for her. We've had periods of holding her for more than two hours recently so don't think it will be an issue.

My OH is from Copenhagen and we still have an apartment there which we'll be staying at. The purpose of the trip is for baby to meet the extended Danish family. Granny is stocking up on nappies and wipes etc for when we arrive so we will be fine there.

It is just the journey that I worry about. I must admit I've been that tutting business traveller when a baby has cried all the way on flights before so want to do everything possible to avoid being on the other side!