We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Checked baggage, One World.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Checked baggage, One World.

I have a flight booked London Heathrow to Santiago via Madrid. The LHR-MAD is Iberia, MAD-SCL, LAN. I have separately purchased a flight(BA)from Edinburgh in order to catch the flight to Chile.

My question is this; The Edi flight get's into LHR at 13:30 and the flight to Madrid is 17.10, do you think i should check my bags right through from Edinburgh or just collect at T5 and check them in there, avoiding another leg?

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
18,462 posts
421 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Checked baggage, One World.

I would check them in all the way if they'll let you. Even though you have separate tickets you SHOULD be able to do so.

Australia
Level Contributor
116 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Checked baggage, One World.

In my experience you won't be able to check luggage right through as you have made two separate bookings. I think you will need to collect at Heathrow and re check through to Chile.

Worth asking BA staff in Edinburgh though, you never know, you may be lucky.

Edited: 03 September 2012, 23:43
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Checked baggage, One World.

Even though it's all "One World"?

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
5,966 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Checked baggage, One World.

Even though the trip is booked as an all OneWorld carrier booking, they may or may not let you check your bags all the way through. It's at the discretion of the airport ticketing agents. All you can do is ask and hope the decision is in your favor. Whether or not they do, I would plan for a worst case scenario just to be on the safe side.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Checked baggage, One World.

I will ask, i think i have a good chance as i work at EDI. It's been a while since i have been to T5 and i am not sure if i booked the bags just to LHR if i would have to collect them landside and go through security again. The plus side i suppose is that i have 3 hours to kill and i would just check them in with Iberia via MAD, less chance of them going astray.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
53,700 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Checked baggage, One World.

I would say EDI will check you all the way through without a problem. I have flown on Oneworld on separate tickets a few times, and I have never had a problem checking through bags and getting my boarding passes from my initial departure point.

surrey
Level Contributor
1,966 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Checked baggage, One World.

I doon't think you should have any problem checking them in all the way through. Pack a change of clothes and a few essentials in your hand luggage just in case. Also remember that IB and LAN's hand luggage allowance is not as generous as BA's 23kgs.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,849 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Checked baggage, One World.

< i am not sure if i booked the bags just to LHR if i would have to collect them landside and go through security again. >

If you have to collect them then you'll have no option but to go landside & go through security again - in fact I can't think of an airport in the world where you could collect luggage airside.

The main point to make though that if your flight from EDI is late and you miss your onward flight then Iberia are under no obligation to assist you except to sell you a new ticket.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,129 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Checked baggage, One World.

In my view you are taking a significant risk - although you should have enough time to make your connection to Madrid/Chile you are relying on your seperately ticketed flight from Edinburgh.

If this flight is delayed/cancelled resulting in missing the subsequent flights you are simply a no show and all your subsequent flights are cancelled.

Some might be ok with this risk but I wouldn't bearing in mind the cost of a replacement ticket.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Checked baggage, One World.

I went to EDI today and the BA advisor linked all the flights and i should get all the boarding passes at check in, she also said i would have the option of collecting the bags at LHR and checking them in with Iberia or having them sent all the way to Santiago. I just have to tell the person at check in which option i want.