We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which airline to New York and back from Boston

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Which airline to New York and back from Boston

We are travelling to NY in May 2013 and spending a few weeks in New England, hoping to fly back from Boston. The prices between the airlines seem similar - BA, Virgin, AA etc. Is there much difference between them ?

any suggestiions, please ?

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
56,555 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which airline to New York and back from Boston

I "think" I'm reading your question correctly, but it's worded a bit...awkwardly, sorry.

Just to confirm: You're asking about flights from "somewhere" (UK?) to New York, and then returning to "somewhere" from Boston?

I only ask because the way it's worded I think a lot of people would think you're looking for flights between Boston and New York.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,356 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which airline to New York and back from Boston

Which class of travel?

North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,069 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which airline to New York and back from Boston

Yes, I was about to suggest you take the train to New York and back to Boston. :-)

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which airline to New York and back from Boston

Sorry if my question was put clumsily. We are flying from the UK into NY and then out of Boston back to the UK, possibly Heathrow. I was wonderin g about the flight experience between the big carriers, and whether any of the smaller ones, offer a good service. Again, sorry to all those who tried to help.

London, United...
Level Contributor
141 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which airline to New York and back from Boston

On balance, UK carriers beat US ones, and BA is generally considered to be more consistent and to a slightly better standard than Virgin Atlantic.

I'd pick BA (in economy) first, Virgin a distant second and AA last.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,724 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which airline to New York and back from Boston

I'd agree that BA would be the best option as long as the cost was in line with other carriers but be careful in that BA & AA codeshare a lot of flights - if booking via the BA website make sure it is a flight operated by BA and not a code share flight operated by AA.

surrey
Level Contributor
1,966 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which airline to New York and back from Boston

You certainly can fly into NY and back from Boston - it's called an open jaw ticket. When you go to book - select 'multi city' then put in LHR-JFK (or whichever airport you wish to fly into) and then for your return put in BOS-LHR. It doesn't cost any more than a straight return.

I agree BA are probably the best airline on the route - and as advised make sure you don't choose an AA flight.

1060 W Addison...
Level Contributor
10,156 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which airline to New York and back from Boston

There just isn't that much difference in the experience flying in coach. Go by price, timing etc. and don't worry too much about the carrier.

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which airline to New York and back from Boston

Thanks to everyone who offered advice. We think we will fly with BA, a flight found through Trailfinders. At £431, seems to be what everyone else is charging. Now we have sorted that out, I will be back for advice on itinararies.

What do you experts think of 4 nights in NY, then train to Boston, for 3 nights. Pick up a car and up the coast to Portland, across to White Mountains, down to Green mountains, then across again to Rhode Island, spending the last 5 days or so in Cape Cod, for a few days on the beach, before home from Boston.

Are there any must-see place on our travels, please. Very grateful for any advice

Edited: 19 September 2012, 01:23
UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which airline to New York and back from Boston

Jeanie, questions about your US road trip, which sounds very nice, should be posted in the appropriate US forums, not here please.