We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mongolia to UK via Beijing

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
6,476 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Mongolia to UK via Beijing

Hi

Have spent the best part of the morning trying to check flight prices for 2 people from Ulaanbaatar to UK for tomorrow or Monday.

Have found the cheapest is to fly from to Beijing and then onto Gatwick on same booking, £570. However I cannot find out the excess baggage charges and there is conflicting info on the economy baggage allowance. Need 30kg each for 2 people who have just finished a sponsored motorbike ride from UK to Mongolia. They may need to ditch some expensive bike gear otherwise. Anyone know of exact economy allowance on this flight and how excess is charged. All Air China offices closed until Monday.

Ideally they would have like 2 days in China (have visas) as this was original plan but were delayed so had to cancel return flights. Does anyone know if cheaper to book flights once in China as they are currently out of budget for a stopover? (direct from Beijing to Gatwick coming in at £800 plus)

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,527 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mongolia to UK via Beijing

Hi,

The Air China site is not THE most user friendly one out there, but what you need for the most part, is there.

As far as free baggage allowance (FBA), Air China essentially uses a "zone" principle to determine your FBA.

They have two (international) major zones, and one minor exception, so to speak;

1) China- Japan routes & routes to/ from America,

2) All other routes not a part of #1, and

3) Premium Economy between PEK & Singapore and Delhi.

Air China:

airchina.com.cn/www/…

So an ULN-LHR (via PEK) would be under #2, as it's not to Japan or the Americas and is not to Delhi or Singapore..

Therefore, under #2, your allowance is:

"Economy Class passengers with adult-fare or child-fare tickets are allowed one pieces of baggage free of charge, weighing no more than 23kg and with total linear dimensions not exceeding 158cm."

[Note: While you do same "same booking" I am interpreting this to mean all on CA. I note this because CA does follow IATA standards for interline FBA rules called "MSA" or Most Significant Carrier. Therefore IF you were flying CA from ULN to PEK, but connection to another carrier, >>on the same ticket<<, from PEK to LHR, the carrier who you fly on the PEK-LHR sector would determine your FBA as that's the MSC, or Most Significant Carrier on that booking.]

The overWEIGHT charges as listed here, in table format:

airchina.com.cn/www/…

Be sure you look at the number in the far right-hand column titled "Routes other than China- Japan routes and routes to/from the Americas" as that's what applies to a ULN-LHR booking.

Travel Safe,

Cala d'Or, Spain
Level Contributor
4,244 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mongolia to UK via Beijing

I would contact an experienced Travel Agent such as Trailfinders for advice. If anything goes wrong en route, they are very good at getting things fixed.

I would definitely book it all on one ticket as air travel in Mongolia can be a bit hit and miss.

Make sure you have the best travel insurance, Trailfinders Gold Insurance is very good.

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,523 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mongolia to UK via Beijing

I am guessing they have great travel insurance already.

that is the first thing I made my son arrange before he also set off on his motorbike for Mongolia !-he plans to drive back-refuses to leave his bike behind .

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
6,476 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Mongolia to UK via Beijing

Gopbi

thanks so much for your reply, yes its extremely confusing! Both flights are with Air China. I've looked at the chart .... erm? So for 30kg each they would have to pay how much and is it for each leg of the flight?

Crazypom they have just ridden 10k miles independently, if suggest using a travel agent I will get a rather abrupt response!

barbexpat : If your son is riding to Mongolia on his bike he would need to arrange insurance separately in some countries, he may not be covered on standard policy? They have donated their bikes to charity in UB as this was the purpose of the ride. Besides which there isn't much of the bikes left, most bits have either fallen off or broken en route. They went on 125cc bikes, usually ride much bigger ones, I don't think they will want to do it again but it was an experience by all accounts. At their age they should know better haha

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,527 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mongolia to UK via Beijing

Hi,

If each person has only ONE bag, and that bag weighs no more than 32kgs, AND the SIZE is 158cm or less, then the fee is US150... It would be the 3rd item on the left from top to bottom.,

It's related to the passengers free bag, hence the category of "Overweight free baggage" and (assuming) it's between 24 and 32kgs, you use the next column (from left to right) and assuming it's LESS than 158cm you'd use the top of the two options in column 3 (from left to right in the "Dimension limit per piece" column") and then use the values listed in the right side column marked "Routes other than China- Japan routes and routes to/from the Americas"..

So, with all that, you;d get US150 or RMB100..

Note that if the bag is still 24 to 32kilos, BUT is ALSO LARGER than 158cms (thus now being classified as over-sized too) then in column #3 you'd use the LOWER number "more than 158cm" in the Dimension limit per piece" column.. and now the charge jumps to USD300 or RMB200... because it's now BOTH overWEIGHT AND overSIZED.

Yes, all charges are PER WAY and not per SECTOR.. So they'd pay it once, in ULN when they check in with Air China; and that payment would cover BOTH the ULN-PEK as well as their connection flight from PEK to LHR as well..

That chart is kind of complicate, but does show nearly every possible excess charge scenario possible.

Travel Safe,

Edited: 08 September 2012, 22:37
York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
6,476 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Mongolia to UK via Beijing

Many many thanks for clearing that up for me.:)

I haven't heard back from the weary travellers so I assume they have been out celebrating reaching the finish line. Doesn't give me much time to book the flights tomorrow morning as they are 8 hrs in advance. Flight is 18.20pm local UB time.

7. Re: Mongolia to UK via Beijing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2013, 10:16