We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Using layovers

Allentown, PA
Level Contributor
11 posts
119 reviews
Save Topic
Using layovers

The other day I was looking at a flight from Newark, NJ (U.S.) to Palau. There were three layovers: San Francisco, Honolulu, and Guam. The return flight stopped in Taipei, Taiwan. I would love to visit any of these additional locations. I was wondering if anyone is aware of a way to lengthen the times of a layover so it becomes a day or two so it becomes a mini-stop over. A few hours in an airport means almost nothing - but with a couple of days I can have a mini-vacation within a vacation. Obviously I don't want to increase the cost of the ticket. Instead, I'd like to maximize the value of my single round trip ticket.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
1,165 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Using layovers

Some airlines will allow a stop-over so you need to ask. Another alternative is to book an open jaw ticket (going from A to B and returning from C to A) and just buy on your own a one way ticket between B and C. But that may be a bit costly.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,881 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Using layovers

The first thing to do is to try the "multi city" option in searching for flights with various combinations, for example EWR-HNL, HNL-ROR, ROR-EWR. You can try various options with different stopovers.

Otherwise, you could call United and see of they can price an itinerary with a stopover, or failing that ask a very reputable full service travel agent (not an online booking agent) to see what they can do. The travel agent may be able to get you a good schedule on other airlines.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
16,871 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Using layovers

You might try a multi-destination search if you are using an airline website to search. That way, you can pick the right itinerary and stopover and see if it costs more than just a layover.

Allentown, PA
Level Contributor
11 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Using layovers

Yeah, I know about the multi-city option. It inevitably adds on to the price. I was hoping of a way to lengthen the layover (I almost don't care where I stop - there are a lot of interesting stop overs in the world) without increasing the price. Maybe I am just dreaming?

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Using layovers

Maybe I am just dreaming?

=====

Indeed you are.

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,456 posts
508 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Using layovers

23 hours 59 minutes is normally the maximum layover time.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
5,804 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Using layovers

Check the T&C's applicable to the fare class you will be flying. They will advise you if stopovers are allowed and where (IE; US only, etc).

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
125 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Using layovers

Depends on the airline. For example, Iceland Air allows for a layover in Reykjavik of up to seven days at no extra charge. And, oftentimes, these flights cost less than flying direct to either of your destinations (I plan on doing this when I go to Germany). It's definitely worth a look.

Using the multi-city option will only give you the maximum layover time of 23 hours, 59 minutes. Best thing to do is call/email the airline and find out the policy that they subscribe to.

Good luck!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
125 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Using layovers

Correction: I will be visiting Houston in February before heading off or a week in Belize. I used the multi-city option on united.com and came up with exactly what I was looking for. And at a fare that was about $200 less than if I'd bought the same itinerary in parts.

Again, good luck. Hope I've helped. : )

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
1,165 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Using layovers

Good advice from all.

Just be aware if you call the airline, there is a difference in terminology between a layover (maximum 24 hours) and a stopover ( more than 24 hours).