We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Delta Skymiles - bait and switch advertising

Champaign IL
Level Contributor
31 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Delta Skymiles - bait and switch advertising

So. Decided to join Delta Skymiles and see if they are better than Aadvantage. Here's how that went...I got 100,000 miles for the credit cards I opened, my husband got 30,000 for his. Their website says a o/w low mileage to Europe from the U.S. is 30,000 each way. I checked every date for next summer and every city combination and even though their advertised mileage calendar says that low miles = 30,000, and when I go to put in a certain date, that date is also advertised/listed as 'low miles', it is NEVER 30,000. Not even close. And, their online booking tool doesn't allow o/w anyway! I called four Delta/Skymiles reps, none of them could find a low miles city/date combo either. One even told me, "To be honest, that mileage chart is just a guide"! Also, until 2 days ago, they listed a mileage buy promo to receive 50% more in miles you buy, until Sept. 30. Now, promo has disappeared and none of their reps seem to know anything about it! I used their pricey 'Pay with Miles' to get two r/t from ORD-MXP and home from MAD-ORD for over $1700 and 100,000 Skymiles COACH, and not from my home airport. So sorry, American, I'll never leave you again. Any suggestions, anyone?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
530 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Delta Skymiles - bait and switch advertising

Do you have a link to the portion of Deltas site that states 30,000 miles each way to Europe? I can't seem to find it.

That actually sounds "to good to be true". I can't get domestic flights that low.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Delta Skymiles - bait and switch advertising

dmn.delta.com/skymiles/direct/charts/us49/

And whilst it says "30,000" miles low miles award, it also says "Award mileage shown is each-way based on a required round-trip", or as I read that, you actually cant only spend 30k, you have to spend 60k.

AND it also says "In addition ... Award redemption requires payment of ... up to $600 for foreign government taxes and fees for international itineraries. "

Other than that its a slam dunk :-)

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,891 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Delta Skymiles - bait and switch advertising

My experience is in the past - round trip, RIC-LHR, early May 2012, 60,000 miles plus taxes and fees. It worked for me. It'll be a while before I have that many miles again, but if I ever do, I'll start searching.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Delta Skymiles - bait and switch advertising

IMO, DL is one of the worst airlines for getting low mileage award tickets. I think paying 100,000 miles PLUS $1700 to get to tickets for your routing was ridiculously high.

Did you search on other airlines before purchasing these tickets to see if it would have been better to just purchase theses tickets with money only?

If you read the fine print, DL clearly states they never guarantee you can find the lower level award tickets, and as you found out, you often can't.

My suggestion would be to stay with AA in the future.

Edited: 10 September 2012, 17:03
Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,651 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Delta Skymiles - bait and switch advertising

Low miles is typically only offered "off season" or to underused city pairs. There are always limited lower miles ff seats and you best shot at getting one is look the farthest out possible (350 days).

I would not call it bait and switch where you buy one product and end up with something different.

I have never had a problem using my DL miles but I understand how to best get what I want.

If you think AA is better then by all means stick with them. I don't really have that option as DL pretty much owns DTW

Edited: 10 September 2012, 17:31
Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
6,041 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Delta Skymiles - bait and switch advertising

As noted previously, the mileage required is based on when and where you're flying. To/from Europe on the summe is considered peak travel time and would require a higher mileage. If you were booking travel to Europe during a low peak period such as February, you would probably find available seats at the low mileage level.

Contrary to the bait & switch, AA's program works much the same way, We were able to get the mileage saver awards last May provided we returned NLT the 14th of May. Peak season kicked in on the 15th and the miles requitred doubled.

Daydream Island...
Level Contributor
4,421 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Delta Skymiles - bait and switch advertising

I am sorry you couldn't get the tickets you wanted. All the frequent air/hotel programs work better for me by lowering my expectations and taking what is offered.

I use my award points/miles for routes and rooms that are available on dates that I know are underbooked or not in demand. There are certain destinations that I go to that usually always have low award requirements, but there are other locations that never have any flights/rooms available at the most attractive point/mile costs. It is what it is.

In my opinion, you cannot use the frequent travel offerings to "gain" anything when you must be certain places at certain times, but you can enjoy a lot of leisure travel for yourself and spouse with careful choices and a knowledge of peak times, routes, local happenings and seasonal load.

The upgrade feature and other freebie's of the various programs are good for the business travel you must make.

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province
Level Contributor
6,021 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Delta Skymiles - bait and switch advertising

I think most frequent flyer programs suffer the same, "as low as" scenario. I had a bunch of AA miles, but could never find an flights to use them on because the lowest bracket FF fares were never available. Eventually AA took my miles away because I hadn't used them ... then had the audacity to send me an email letting me know I could buy them back for several hundred dollars.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Delta Skymiles - bait and switch advertising

I had a bunch of AA miles, but could never find an flights to use them on because the lowest bracket FF fares were never available

=======

Well why didnt you use higher bracket rather than lose them?

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,839 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Delta Skymiles - bait and switch advertising

The OP looks to be one that has fallen for the hype of a credit card offer without doing any research. I've seen plenty of complaints from people who've gone for the BA card and then been stung for the fuel surcharge on their award tickets. OP, whenever you see an offer for a credit card offering wonderful things, always think "now what's the catch"?

Gracie - "IMO, DL is one of the worst airlines for getting low mileage award tickets."

I saw data from a survey today that backs that up. Passengers' "success rate" at getting their award tickets was 27% on Delta, about 37% on US Airways, about 55% on American and 83% on United. Of course, I read that in this months's Hemispheres** magazine. :)

(** that's United's in flight magazine)