We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cpap on british airways

baltimore
Level Contributor
3,183 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
cpap on british airways

My hubby will need to take his cpap machine on his flight from Baltimore to Abrdeen and needs to take his cpap machine with him. Does BA count his cpap machine as one of his carry on bags?

He has called BA and asked and he couldn't get a straight answer. So I called and they said he needs to call a special number to arrange to carry on medical equipment.

He doesn't want to use it on board he just needs to know if it counts towards one of his two carry on bags.

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cpap on british airways

You already have the answer - call BA's special number (Passenger Medical Clearance Unit ?) and discuss with them.

Personally, I stick to the permitted baggage allowance and pack my cpap machine, tube, mask in my carry-on. What else do you carry, beyond a change of underwear and your papers and a book?

surrey
Level Contributor
1,966 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cpap on british airways

The hand luggage allowance on BA is very generous at 23 kgs but the size of your bag must be within their permitted dimensions - I don't know how big this machine is but will it fit into a carry on. BA also allow you to have a laptop bag or handbag so hopefully between the two he should be able to get it in.

Personally I never put anything in the hold which is either essential or valuable.

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,824 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cpap on british airways

You're certainly allowed to carry a cpap machine on board as I have a colleague who has one and flies BA very regularly. As advised above, the BA carry on allowance is generous so you should be able to get it in your carry on bags without much difficulty.

baltimore
Level Contributor
3,183 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cpap on british airways

My husband is flying to Aberdeen to scuba dive and is carrying his scuba gear as his carry on. He really hates to risk checking his scuba gear and them loosing it and him not being able to dive in Scotland.

He is carrying all his carry on limit in pricey scuba gear and underwater camera gear he doesnt have room for the cpap machine.

I guess he does not choice he is going to have to check one of his scuba gear bags so he can carry on his cpap machine. I think the cpap machine is a tad more important. :)

Edited: 11 September 2012, 11:56
Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,617 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cpap on british airways

The cpap machine is counted as an extra item by BA and you should not have any problem taking it on board. Security staff at airports in both the UK and the US have immediately recognised my wife's machine and (with one exception) have simply scanned it in the normal way.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cpap on british airways

BA Customer Service told me today that the procedure was to contact their Medical number 02087385444 and they would give me permission to take my CPAP as a third piece of hand luggage. When I phoned the above number they told me that this was not the case and that it would have to be included as normal hand baggage. Irritating to get opposing views within one company.

7. Re: cpap on british airways

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 April 2014, 05:15