We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why it pays to book a fare when you like the price..........

Australia
Level Contributor
817 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Why it pays to book a fare when you like the price..........

For all you procrastinators out there, (like me), here's why it pays to book a fare when you see a good one.

Real example - Open jaw return and/or round trip SYD to East coast USA on United in November has been around $1450 - $1550 depending on which east coast city(s). Sometime yesterday the fares have jumped to around $2200 - $2300.

Ouch. This is why no-one can say what fares will be and when they will go up or down. If you see a fare you like - take it!!!!!

(Although Delta are still around $1600 ish at the moment)

Edited: 11 September 2012, 04:55
Watford, United...
Level Contributor
5,034 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Why it pays to book a fare when you like the price..........

So are you going to take the Delta fare before that increases?

Terrigal, Australia
Level Contributor
2,383 posts
646 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Why it pays to book a fare when you like the price..........

Vacation = very, very good advice

London
Level Contributor
409 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Why it pays to book a fare when you like the price..........

To add to that advice, DON'T look at prices after you've booked.

It will just drive you crazy as there might be even lower fares after that!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
14,034 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Why it pays to book a fare when you like the price..........

"For all you procrastinators out there, (like me), here's why it pays to book a fare when you see a good one."

It would have paid off in the particular case you mention but might not pay off in other cases.

Buckinghamshire...
Level Contributor
3,086 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Why it pays to book a fare when you like the price..........

I tend to agree, if you are looking a a price range .... say £450 - £550 and even though you'd like one cheaper, if a fare comes up that is affordable, its worth going for.

I was keeping a eye on flights with Qatar for January for LHR - BKK. They were £520 each and now today they are £615. Now that isn't so bad, but just goes to show they can change rather quickly. Wish I could have booked, but haven't got enough money's saved for me hols yet :-(

Prob postpone until March when its cheaper :-)

Edited: 11 September 2012, 10:27
australia
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Why it pays to book a fare when you like the price..........

Whole heartily agree with that one

Paid $200 more myself for the last trip as I couldn't decide if I was going or which way. Watched the price go up $100 each day. Missed my preferred open jaw ticket went from extra $100 one day to $1400 more the day after. Had to do a standard return with a different airline

It is a case of do your research well in advance... I tend to have a pretty good idea of fare prices for particular travel times and places....I have emails from heaps of airlines with sales all the time as well as travel agents, websites, etc..

If I see a fare for > $600 under the normal I know it's a good price or off season ticket.

Australia
Level Contributor
817 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Why it pays to book a fare when you like the price..........

And now on Wednesday morning the fares have come back down to $1650 - $1750. About $200 up on last weekend's prices.

Like a pendulum.

I discovered that I can use miles plus co-pay for about $740 so I might just do that and pocket the savings.

8. Re: Why it pays to book a fare when you like the price..........

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2013, 10:15