We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Emirates cabin baggage query

UK
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Topic
Emirates cabin baggage query

Hi

Flying to Sydney on Sunday on Emirates via Dubai on the A380. Connection time at Dubai is 2 hours and continuing on the A380 to Sydney.

The height of the cabin baggage allowance is only 20cm - my bag (soft hand luggage) is 24cm but not going to fill it, so it will definitely squash down by at least 4cm - will that suffice? I've heard they are stricter for the Dubai connection...

Thanks!

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
10,354 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Emirates cabin baggage query

That sounds totally fine to me, as long as it will fit into the luggage space.

I'm continually amazed at the amount of hand luggage a lot of people do take on Emirates fights :)

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2,329 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Emirates cabin baggage query

I think you'll be fine. As the above poster said, some people really do try and bring ridiculous amounts of cabin luggage on board, regardless of the airline. The fact that you're even concerned about the luggage limits holds you in god stead-- EK certainly won't worry about 4cm when there are most likely other people trying to bring the kitchen sink on board! :)

Have a great flight!

UK
Level Contributor
16 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Emirates cabin baggage query

I've just bought an IT Sub Zero G Cabin Case - dimensions are 56x36x19.5 - the height is 1cm above Emirates guidelines, but both other dimensions are smaller. The case does not squash down.

Don't want to pay the surcharge at Dubai - anyone know exactly how pedantic Emirates are?

Staffordshire...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
16,098 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Emirates cabin baggage query

I think it depends on who is there on the day. As other have said I've been absolutely amazed at what I've seen people bring on board as hand luggage.

Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
for Flic En Flac, Mauritius
Level Contributor
18,743 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Emirates cabin baggage query

Me too, I can never understand how they manage to carry it all. Saw one woman last week with FOUR fairly large bags, she used up 2 overhead bins - one of which was above our seats so we were not impressed.

EK can be a bit pedantic on weight of hand baggage at check in but in transit they won't notice what you have with you.

UK
Level Contributor
16 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Emirates cabin baggage query

Took the cabin case back! Opted to take a smaller rucksack-type bag to be on the safe side, but will no doubt be watching other people struggling down the aisles with HUGE bags!

berkshire
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Emirates cabin baggage query

i taking my laptop in a ordinary laptop bag and a normal size handbag for money paperwork etc will this be ok ?

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
39,109 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Emirates cabin baggage query

I pop my laptop in my carry on case and also have a handbag. You are technically allowed only one piece of carry on in EK's economy class.

If I carried my laptop, my carry on case and my handbag that would make three items.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
5,222 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Emirates cabin baggage query

Laptop plus handbag will be fine. Just did it.

Gujarat, India
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
5,003 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Emirates cabin baggage query

Just checked in at Narita, and my business class baggage was checked again, but economy looked like they were being weighed, no suprise some bags were again stupid sizes, sorry but some folk have no concerns for their fellow passengers and what inconviences carting loads of stuff brings.

It does depend on the day and the check in agent, if there is a full moon or if there is an "r" in the month, you never can tell.