We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

US Airways changed my flight time - very unhappy, advice?

Altoona...
Level Contributor
53 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
US Airways changed my flight time - very unhappy, advice?

I emailed US Airways about this through their website and got a message saying someone would contact me in 5-7 business days. I'm just wondering if anyone else has encountered this situation and had any luck getting a flight change...

When I booked my flight, it was supposed to be taking off at 10:25 am. It has since been changed to 8:15 am, and with the recommendation of arriving 1.5 - 2 hours prior to departure time I am seriously afraid of not making it on time as I'll have to be up, packed & ready, checked out of the hotel, and catch transportation to get me to the airport by 6:30ish, not to mention the inconvenience of getting up super-early during what is supposed to be a vacation. I don't fly often, and if I ever thought there would be a chance that they'd make it more than 2 hours earlier than I had planned, I would have never booked a morning flight back home.

What makes it really tricky is that this 8:15 am flight from Boston to Pittsburgh is the ONLY US Airways flight that day, a Saturday. Jet Blue has a later flight, but I'm guessing US won't want to refund me (booked through Hotwire) to use another airline...

Has anyone here been in a similar situation and gotten a desirable result? I'd be willing to pay a little more for a later flight. Thanks for reading this and thanks in advance for any replies!

~Lisa

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: US Airways changed my flight time - very unhappy, advice?

Are you serious?

You are an adult right? And you cant get up a couple of hours early just the once?

Sorry to be so harsh, but if this isn't a "first world problem" I don't know what is. Pack the night before, set the alarm clock, have the hotel give you a call as well. Jeez.

Edited: 14 September 2012, 21:03
NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
39,268 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: US Airways changed my flight time - very unhappy, advice?

The airline has a right to change the flight time. This happens more than people realize. As Joe said above, on a scale of 1-10 of serious problems, this rates a minimum of -20.

Altoona...
Level Contributor
53 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: US Airways changed my flight time - very unhappy, advice?

Wow, thanks for all the help. Seriously, in order to be at the airport by 6:15 or 6:30, I would have to find transportation before 6:00 am, meaning I'd have to be getting up by probably 5:00 and that's cutting it close. I didn't see any rules posted here about only posting about serious problems. Fantastic display of compassion for fellow travelers, 5 stars for each of you!

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
21,387 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: US Airways changed my flight time - very unhappy, advice?

When I've had schedule changes imposed by the airline I've always had to accept the new schedule set by the airline and have been able to come to a satisfactory outcome after the discussion when I was unhappy with the proposed changes.

If the early flight is too much for you your best bet would be ring US Airways to discuss your options although there might be none available other than getting the early morning flight.

Looking on the positive side at least the check in/security queues will be quieter at that time of day.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
65,635 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: US Airways changed my flight time - very unhappy, advice?

You have a choice of accepting the time change or changing the flight or getting your money back. I wouldn't deal with the airline through e-mail.

I'd pick up the phone and call them!

US Air (and other airlines) change flight time quite often!!

They know that some folks will not accept the change and they have a very good record of giving timely refunds when this happens.

I got money back to my charge card within 1 week when it happened to me!

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
43,107 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: US Airways changed my flight time - very unhappy, advice?

Lisa,

Are you telling me that you have never had to get up at 5.00am before? It can actually be a very pleasant and productive time of day. Be positive and treat it as an experience.

Watford, United...
Level Contributor
5,036 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: US Airways changed my flight time - very unhappy, advice?

LisaMarie, go to bed 2 hours earlier the night before. This is not rocket science.

Altoona...
Level Contributor
53 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: US Airways changed my flight time - very unhappy, advice?

Thank you so much, TomC97 and Riff M for your responses. I will give the airline a call and see what my options are, if I have any other than to just deal with it.

I understand that things don't always go as planned, but after driving 5-6 hours the previous day (from Bass Harbor, ME) and then having to drive 3 hours once I get back to Pittsburgh, I'm not sure that the amount of sleep I'll be able to achieve will be sufficient for a safe, alert drive home. Knowing that I have to be up 2 hours earlier than usual will cause anxiety, making it difficult to fall asleep. That's just the way I function - once I do fall asleep, I will probably be up every hour or so, worried that I've missed the alarm. I missed my 7th grade field trip to Washington, D.C. due to an alarm clock malfunction and have been anxious about such things ever since.

Thank you also adamhornets for your reply. If I was planning on getting up early to have a leisurely morning watching the sun rise and relaxing without having anywhere to be at a particular time I would be fine. It's just the anxiety that gets me - I'm not a big city hustle & bustle type at all. I have gotten up plenty of mornings during beach vacations prior to sunrise, but even then maybe not quite as early as 5 am.

My flight to Boston was also changed to an earlier time, but I'm not concerned about that because it's going to coincide with my normal wake time and I know that I can relax once I arrive since I'll be on vacation. If I'm ever fortunate enough to take another vacation using flight as the main transportation, I will be sure to book returning flights in the afternoon, now that I know they can change by a few hours. (This will only be my 4th time flying and the previous three were over 4 years ago.) And I may avoid US Airlines in the future, since changing flight times seems to be common with them. I looked into a Jet Blue flight for this same trip and had booked the US Airlines flight because it was less expensive, however the Jet Blue schedule has not changed at all since March and I only saved $50 or so. Live and learn...

Happy travels to all :-)

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: US Airways changed my flight time - very unhappy, advice?

I flew US Airways to Punta Cana earlier in the year. A few weeks before I flew out, I received notice that my return flight departure that was scheduled for 10AM had now been brought forward to 8AM. I had deliberately booked myself on the 10AM flight as I was on vacation, was staying in a resort that was 90 minutes away from the airport and I wanted to avoid getting up extra early to make the 8AM flight.

I simply logged onto the website and saw that there was still a 12PM departure available. I had previously avoided this particular flight as the connection time in Philly for the 2nd leg back home to San Diego was rather tight. When I looked at the PHL-SAN connections, I then noticed that there was a later flight added to their schedule that meant the connection time was definitely more comfortable. I then called US Airways and explained about the flight time change and asked if I could be moved to the later departure and later connection, rather than stick with the new flight times that I had been allocated. They were happy to accommodate my request and I got myself a few hours extra sleep (sobering up time!!! :>) in Punta Cana.

Edited: 14 September 2012, 22:59
San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: US Airways changed my flight time - very unhappy, advice?

It's not just US Airways that changes flight times. I can't recall the last time I booked a vacation flight and there wasn't some change in the schedule. I tend to plan my vacations rather far out in advance, so I expect to have flights moved around and just try to make the best of it after studying the new schedules.

My Thanksgiving flights out to Jamaica have been changed three times since I booked and my flight back to the UK for Christmas has been changed once already. I can't complain about the Christmas flight though. What was a 6:25AM departure from SAN and a 7hr layover in PHL has morphed into an 8:25AM departure from SAN with a 5 hr layover in PHL!