We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Qantas, Malaysian or Etihad Airlines...Which one the best?

Dublin Ireland
Level Contributor
160 posts
19 reviews
Qantas, Malaysian or Etihad Airlines...Which one the best?

Experts any comments on what airline is best to fly to Australia from Dublin with ????? Thanks

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
1. Re: Qantas, Malaysian or Etihad Airlines...Which one the best?

Is there a difference in price?

uk
Level Contributor
3,608 posts
71 reviews
2. Re: Qantas, Malaysian or Etihad Airlines...Which one the best?

What class?

The advantage of Ethiad is, I believe they would offer a one stop solution, the others would require two.

If you're looking at EC, there will be minimal difference between the three however so I would base your decision on price and schedule primarily.

Malaysian and Qantas could mean travelling by A380 dependant on routing which is attractive to some.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
147 posts
33 reviews
3. Re: Qantas, Malaysian or Etihad Airlines...Which one the best?

I'd choose MAS - especially if you (really should!) have a stopover in KL to break the flight.

Great crew, great planes and great airport in KL. Far more interesting as a destination (imo) than Abu Dhabi.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Qantas, Malaysian or Etihad Airlines...Which one the best?

The only ones that fly long-haul aircraft/flights straight out from Dublin are Etihad andEmirates .

If you fly Qantas or Malaysia you would have to fly another airline and pick up their flight from elsewhere. So that means probably flying to London heathrow for Qantas , or to London or Amsterdam for Malaysia.

With Etihad or Emirates you have wide-body flight from Dublin non stop to their Gulf hubs and then onwards.

It also can make a big difference where in Australia you are heading to, for example Malaysia and Emirates both go to all the majors ( Sydney, Melbourne, Perth, Brisbane, Adelaide ) so again you fly-in long haul wide-body flight.

Emirates would give you 'one stop' Dublin to Australia , Etihad too but they don't fly in to all of those. Qantas for Sydney or Melbourne but to go onwards would mean an extra domestic flight, so with Qantas you could end up with 4 flight sectors as against as few as 2 sectors.

So actual destination in Australia makes a difference. There are other options such as Singapore Airlines who have a ghuge number of flights into Australia, but, that would mean again flying first to Manchester, London or a European mainland city

Edited: 19 September 2012, 05:57
Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: Qantas, Malaysian or Etihad Airlines...Which one the best?

I think Singapore Airlines is now about 12 per day into Australia from Singapore.

I do agree if you want to stop over somewhere Kuala Lumpur makes a nice choice, but the benefits of Etihad or Emirates meaning you avoid having to change planes and airline in UK or Europe in my opinion would be a big plus.

australia
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
17 reviews
6. Re: Qantas, Malaysian or Etihad Airlines...Which one the best?

So actual destination in Australia makes a difference. There are other options such as Singapore Airlines who have a ghuge number of flights into Australia, but, that would mean again flying first to Manchester, London or a European mainland city.......

and probably also stopping in Singapore before arriving in Australia.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
7. Re: Qantas, Malaysian or Etihad Airlines...Which one the best?

Economy?

Cheapest ticket with the fewest number of sectors and shortest flight time. Nothing in it as far as comfort and service go.

So, probably Ethihad. As Monica pointed out, QF and MH don't fly out of Dublin.

OTOH, if you want a stop over on the way, it would depend on where you want to stop.

australia
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
17 reviews
8. Re: Qantas, Malaysian or Etihad Airlines...Which one the best?

OP doesn't mention when either, could very well do Dublin to Dubai on Emirates then pick up Qantas in Dubai or just stay on Emirates.

So many variations and opportunities nowadays

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2,329 posts
159 reviews
9. Re: Qantas, Malaysian or Etihad Airlines...Which one the best?

I would choose Qantas last. The other airlines have more consistent service, in my opinion.

I recommend breaking up the journey, if you have time. For example, Kuala Lumpur is a fantastic city for a stopover. Cheap, modern, great spas, shopping, food, culture, sightseeing...

Dublin Ireland
Level Contributor
160 posts
19 reviews
10. Re: Qantas, Malaysian or Etihad Airlines...Which one the best?

Thank you all for your information......appreciate it.