We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Qatar to Maldives, worth upgrading?

uk
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
Qatar to Maldives, worth upgrading?

Hi all,

So about to book our honeymoon flying with Qatar who I've heard good things about, and looking into upgrading to business flying out as a surprise to the wife to be. This is looking to be £2400 extra for both of us going out there.

Never flown business and prob never will so this would be ultra special to do. My question is, is it worth the extra cost? Also would a better deal be had by doing it at the check in desk of the day at heathrow rather than in advance? I guess free upgrades are few and far between these days even if its your honeymoon!

Thanks!

Staffordshire...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
15,494 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Qatar to Maldives, worth upgrading?

Doubt you'll get a free upgrade. As you say they're long gone. Qatar is the best airline I've ever flown with. The seat pitch is good and for me I wouldn't pay that much extra to business class but it's your honeymoon and your bank balance. If your rolling in it then do it but you'll not be disappointed with the airline.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
18,836 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Qatar to Maldives, worth upgrading?

You can almost certainly forget the idea of a free upgrade - they just dont happen anymore unless you hold FF status with that carrier or economy is oversold anf you get lucky.

You could wait until the day but there is no guarantee of availability or the cost - how would you feel if you couldn't get it because there was no availability or it was too expensive.

Whether it's worth it to upgrade in advance is a matter of personal choice - some will say yes, others no.

Whats more important to me when I fly BC is the actual product as there is a wide difference between carriers - I've not flown Qatar but the prices that airlines charge for BC mean I expect flat bed seats, lounge access and priority check in etc.

If you get all these as a minimum then go for it - you only have one honeymoon.

However be aware that if you fly again in the future it will be even more difficult to face economy class having seen life at the front end - it's always a problem when you go backwards in terms of the service you are receiving.

Haarlem, The...
Level Contributor
1,608 posts
261 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Qatar to Maldives, worth upgrading?

I don't think it's worth it. I've flown business class a few times (1x long haul), never had to pay for it myself and never would. That amount of money can buy you so much more (lasting things) han just a more comfortable flight.

Watford, United...
Level Contributor
5,034 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Qatar to Maldives, worth upgrading?

I don't think it is worth it but I haven't a large wad in the bank.

If you're loaded and the extra cash won't make a difference then go for it however if the cost is going to be prohibitive, leave you short or the money would be best spent elsewhere leave well alone, honeymoon or not.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Qatar to Maldives, worth upgrading?

I wouldn't ONLY book BC outbound because economy will seem like such a step back after it. Perhaps try to find an airline that does Premium Economy ? Or if not, forget it and use the money for a nicer experience over the time in the Maldives.

kent
Level Contributor
44 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Qatar to Maldives, worth upgrading?

We flew BC on Quata to the Maldives about 5 years ago, it was our 1st (and probably last time) flying BC!

It was fantastic, could'nt fault anything from the service at check in, through the Bc lounge and the flight was amazing! You have a stop in Dhoa, and have access to the BC lounge, which was very nice, complimentary food and beverages, also showers in the toilets.

If money is no object, then you won't be disapponted, the only point to note is the flight to Dhoa was on a large plane (sorry have no idea what type), and the connecting flight to Male is much smaller, still great service, but not as much legroom, still better than economy and we had been spoilt on the first leg, did'nt really bother us, as we had slept on the Dhoa leg and were pretty excited by this stage.

Enjoy your honeymoon! would love to go back.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Qatar to Maldives, worth upgrading?

I would not pay to upgrade DOH-MLE as this sector is operated by narrow body A320/321s with deeply reclining seats - no flatbed seats.

Qatar Airways long haul BC and short haul BC are 2 completely different products.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Qatar to Maldives, worth upgrading?

No, I would not do the Doha to male or return leg either.

However I would do the first or last leg. Is that possible? Can you upgrade for the Doha to uk part and uk to Doha legs only? This will bring cost down and would be possibly worth it.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Qatar to Maldives, worth upgrading?

Of course you can do that, but then you can't book online. You will have to contact Qatar Airways office or a travel agent.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,073 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Qatar to Maldives, worth upgrading?

How can anyone but you (the OP) possibly judge what its worth?