We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Minor traveling alone through Los Angeles and US

Melbourne
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Minor traveling alone through Los Angeles and US

Hi,

We will have a 16 year old traveling through LAX onto another city later in the year. Someone has suggested there may be issues with a foreign minor traveling alone into the USA. Is this true? Do we need to fill in some consent forms? Does a minor traveling into the USA have to have adult assistance with them? Scary enough negotiating LAX by themselves without all the other dramas.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Minor traveling alone through Los Angeles and US

i think u need to check the airline u r considering using (they all tend to have different rules) as well as the american embassy in canberra.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
664 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Minor traveling alone through Los Angeles and US

From the US Customs & Border Protection

Looks as though a letter of parental consent would be handy

ttps://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1254/kw/Unaccompanied%20children/related/1/p/0/c/0

The young person will need all their paperwork and money and will have to answer the usual questions about what they will be doing. In addition, there may be concern that (even though in this case there is no visible adult either caring for or victimizing the young person) the young traveller is being trafficked or is part of an international custody dispute.

Be aware that if something goes wrong the young person will not be able to consent to medical treatment and will not normally be able to book or occupy a hotel room. They will need a means of communication, money, and preferably someone in the US who can help.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Minor traveling alone through Los Angeles and US

From your other posts it seems that your daughter is flying MelbourneLA with Qantas and then getting a domestic flight with Delta.

From what I can find, a 16 year old is not considered an unaccompanied minor with Qantas, so she should be able to board that flight no problem.

qantas.com.au/travel/…en

In the US, a 16 year old IS considered an unaccompanied minor. Here is some information for children/unaccompanied minors travelling on Delta that may be helpful:

delta.com/planning_reservations/…index.jsp

If you have any questions specific to the airlines or want to confirm what, if any, documentation they require I would contact them directly.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
664 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Minor traveling alone through Los Angeles and US

From Delta:

<<What if I decline the Unaccompanied Minor service for my 15 to 17 year old?

Enrollment in the Delta Air Lines Unaccompanied Minor program is mandatory for children 5 to 14. If you prefer that your 15 to 17 year old travel without supervision, please advise the agent at the time of the reservation and it will be noted. Your child will be expected to handle boarding, deplaning, and transfers to connecting gates on their own.

Remind your teenager never to leave the airport for any reason unless accompanied by a badged Delta employee or uniformed police officer until they have reached their destination city. She or he should never seek help from or leave the airport with strangers.

Provide your teenager with instructions, phone contacts, and a small amount of money for food in the unlikely event their flight is missed, delayed, canceled or rerouted.

Remind your teenager that they can seek the assistance of any Delta employee if they have questions, concerns or need reassurance.

Remember most hotels will not accept young people who are not accompanied by an adult>>

Temecula, CA
Destination Expert
for Temecula
Level Contributor
1,321 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Minor traveling alone through Los Angeles and US

I think the concern here is what docs are required by customs for a foreign UM to get into the USA?

If a minor is traveling w/o her parents - what docs will our customs agents require to allow her admittance to the US especially since she will not have a US adult waiting for her in LAX and must take a connecting domestic flight to complete her travel?

Will this even be an issue with customs?

Will Qantas help her get through customs as they would any other UM?

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,605 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Minor traveling alone through Los Angeles and US

It appears that the only thing that might be needed is a letter of consent which is certainly easy to write just in case.

Qantas won't help since they don't consider her a minor.

It is immigration where the letter may be needed and not "customs".

I would hope that she'll be traveling with some sort of medical insurance . If she's going to visit family then they'd need a letter authorizing them to make medical decisions for her if she gets sick or injured as she cannot do it for herself here since 16 year olds are minors in the USA.

Temecula, CA
Destination Expert
for Temecula
Level Contributor
1,321 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Minor traveling alone through Los Angeles and US

If you want to contact the US Customs Office directly - which is probably the best solution - you can email them through this site or give them a call. I've looked it over - but I can't locate anything about foreign UM coming into the US without parents or US adult waiting for the UM on the other side of customs.

http://www.cbp.gov.

Good luck - hope this works out for you.

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
9,640 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Minor traveling alone through Los Angeles and US

Any issue will be with US immigration rather than customs unless she is bringing a live wallaby or a stash of illegal drugs.

Try asking at the US Consulate in Melbourne:

http://melbourne.usconsulate.gov/

and check with the airline she is flying with as well in case they have any requirements.

She will need to be a fairly competent 16 year old; one who can handle herself sensibly if things do not go according to plan. What I remember about being 16 is that you can be very adult in "normal" situations, but a bit shaky when things go wrong.

If you go through various scenarios with her, having fun with playing them up, you may be able to prepare her well without getting "oh mum".

9. Re: Minor traveling alone through Los Angeles and US

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 16:18