We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ears wont pop!?

Malta
Level Contributor
88 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Ears wont pop!?

hi (again) I suppose many of u saw my last post about flying when ears have been syringed, unfortunatly my ears got inflamed so got given a spray for my ears, anyway, since i had my ear syringed it felt like it needed to pop, i had it done thursday, its tuesday now and my ear still hasnt popped! I am NOT looking for medical advice here, i am looking for personal opinion, and similar stories, i will be going to see the doctor before i fly. But obviously he cant give me examples of people who have flown with there ear not popped,

So wondering, if anyone has flown with there ear unpopped? Im thinking maybe people who have flown on there way out and there ear didnt pop after the flight, and have flown back home with there ear still unpopped?

Ive tried everything google suggests to unpop it!

Thanks! :D

Edited: 25 September 2012, 10:05
London, United...
Level Contributor
736 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ears wont pop!?

I'm assuming by 'pop' you mean when you swallow and your ears seem to clear ?

I had a similar thing a couple of years ago when I had an outer ear infection (inside the ear but not inside the eardrum) and had to fly, my doctor gave me ear drops but on 2 of my 4 flights the pressure in my ears did not equalise, probably due to the ear being swollen - if your doctor clears you to fly I would not be unduly worried, once the swelling goes down the pressure should equalise.

It is a very strange sensation, I would only worry if it became painful -hope this helps, my situation may be very different from yours so be advised by your doctor.

Malta
Level Contributor
88 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ears wont pop!?

Hi :) Yeah that kind of wont pop lol

I tried that thing where you push through your nose while pinching it, my right ear popped but not my left, not really in pain its just uncomfortable and annoying, have it in my head if pressures already in my ear then i go on a plane its gonna explode or something haha abit over dramatic!!

I went to buxton at the weekend and had to drive through mountains, my left ear felt like it was popping slightly but didnt actually pop!

Hopefully the doctor wont see a problem, not having much luck with doctors at the moment thought there very unhelpfull when it comes to ears and flying!

Edited: 25 September 2012, 10:34
UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ears wont pop!?

Pinch your nose, keep your mouth closed, then swallow and wiggle your jaw side to side at the same time. You might have to be up in the air for this to work though.On the ground try breathing out a *little* bit (with mouth still closed) to increase the pressure slightly.

(Swallowing whilst moving jaw works for me when scuba diving, its similar thing hence my suggestion.)

You could also try "ear planes" and I know a lot of people recommend for flying who cannot clear their ears though I have never tried them myself. These are NOT ear plugs, and for them to work you would have to put them in prior to take off and keep them in the whole flight ad for a while afterwards.

Malta
Level Contributor
88 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ears wont pop!?

Hi, ive just tried ur suggestion and.. I actually felt my ear pop, but it still feels like it hasnt popped?! I know that sounds weird, I will try it a few times, its the only thing thats done something so far so thanks :D

I ordered earplanes on sunday so hoping they will arrive this week :)

Manchester
Level Contributor
308 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ears wont pop!?

it sounds like wax is stuck n thats why you feel deaf, have you tried olive oil ear drops, it might soften whats stuck. Decongestant tablets might help you, i take one before the decent starts, along with ear plugs!. I feel your pain!

Malta
Level Contributor
88 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ears wont pop!?

Hi :)

I had a blockage of wax and have them syringed on thursday so unfortunatly wax cant be the problem, was using olive oil for about 2 weeks prior. Ive heard people take sudafed, so may have to get some of these tonight!

Earplanes arrived just now :)

Whittlesey, United...
Level Contributor
683 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ears wont pop!?

They sell earplanes in tesco, I am taking them and also some sudafed for when I go on Thursday.

Last time I flew my left ear was agony and two days after the flight my eardrum burst, I am dreading flying again and this time have taken every precaution I can against it happening again.

I was told that you need to be able to breath clearly through your nose.

Good luck with your flight

Stafford, United...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
4,501 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ears wont pop!?

<<I had a blockage of wax and have them syringed on thursday so unfortunatly wax cant be the problem>>

I once had mine syringed and a couple of days later my ear felt uncomfortable. Went to scratch inside it and found a big clump of wax. Obviously just dislodged it with syringing and had been somehow hidden from view when the nurse looked at it afterwards.

I find Sodium Bicarbonate Eardops melt any wax a lot quicker than olive oil. A doctor once advised me to bang a lot in and then stick my head under a bath of very warm water a few days later.....it worked!

Good luck with your flight. (For some reason I always find my ears hurt more when it's a gradual descent, rather than when they come in steeply. )

Malta
Level Contributor
88 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ears wont pop!?

The ear drum bursting is what im worried about, also the fact i am only going fri-sun as its just a quick trip over to arrange wedding details, leaving my son with his grandparents, so not much rest time inbetween flying if something was to happen!!

Not sure if this is a good or bad thing but i have finally managed to pop my ears, doing the holding nose and swallowing thing, but its feels exactly the same, very blocked, so god knows maybe it is wax again!? Off to the doctors tonight for me, im not hopefull about flying!

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
20,843 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ears wont pop!?

If the Valsalva maneuver, holding the nose while blowing, is not working for you, you should see a physician as continued flying could cause inner ear damage.

Earplanes are designed to minimize sudden cabin pressure surges caused by rapid throttle movement and corresponding increased cabin pressure such as what can occur during takeoff. These devices are not designed for and will not help those with blocked inner ears.

Cabin altitudes climb and descend during flight, there is no way to avoid it and if you are unable to equalize inner ear and ambient air pressures, only your doctor can help you.