We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ebookers HELP!!

Dublin, Ireland
6 posts
Save Topic
Ebookers HELP!!

Hi,

I am due to fly out to Cairns on Monday with emirates and jet star, booked through ebookers.

Today I was concerned about the Dublin Airport strike and contacted emirates. There I was told that the seat was booked in my Mothers name.

I accept that it was my mistake, bought the flight with mothers credit card as my limit was too low and never checked the details that they sent me fully!!

I then called Ebookers to change the ticket name.

This is when I was told that the name could not be changed and it would be necessary to cancel booking. Bit of a shock to me.

Knowing that I was not going to get the full value I asked what the amount which I would be, expecting 60%-80% of value paid.

I was told 4%. Actually hit the floor. Did not accept the offer obviously.

Asked to speak with a supervisor who assured me nothing could be done.

I then called emirates who informed me that the first two flights (with emirates) were refundable and the the third (with jetstar) was not and that I am entitled to a 57% refund off them. But have to go through ebookers.

On calling ebookers back they still assured me the I was only entitled to 4%. I asked to speak to manager who yet again assured me.

I then requested that the manager called emirates with the information I had just given him. When he called me back he could not confirm if I was yet entitled to a refund higher than 4%. Waiting for office to open tomorrow

Another option was to change the flight info to my name (but not the ticket). This would allow me board plane but most likely have difficulties with customs. I could always do this and then book final leg from osaka to cairns in my name. Has anyone experience this???

Any help here is greatly appreciated, this evening has been one of the most stressful of my life, I actually collapsed with I was told I could not get refunded or change name on ticket.

australia
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ebookers HELP!!

Another option was to change the flight info to my name (but not the ticket).

Just change the name then... The ticket is nothing but a piece of paper once the name is changed just do a reprint of the booking and your name will be shown as the passenger,

This is a prime example of what happens using on-line third parties to book tickets

Dublin, Ireland
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ebookers HELP!!

I was told about this, apparently it may cause problems at coustoms.

I am particulary aware that Australian customs can be strict, therefor booking the final leg from Osaka to Cairns again might be best option.

Has anyone experienced this?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
12,799 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ebookers HELP!!

"Another option was to change the flight info to my name (but not the ticket). This would allow me board plane"

How could you board the plane with a ticket that has a different name than yours? That sounds odd to me.

Most tickets sold are non-transferable and non-refundable so I'm more surprised about Emirates telling you their tickets are refundable than I am about Ebookers offering a tiny refund (probably some airport taxes minus a fee).

australia
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ebookers HELP!!

>>>>I'm more surprised about Emirates telling you their tickets are refundable than I am about Ebookers offering a tiny refund

A lot of international airfares are refundable in Australia, some airlines have a refund fee around $300 mark.. Some wont refund.

If it is the Jetstar ticket that is the problem then yes they will not refund but you should be able to pay to change the name, depending on the fare type. What sort is it?

I do not know why customs would have a problem, if you can change your name on the booking and it matches your passport, they won't care. If you are not on the airline manifest you won't be boarding the airlines won't let you check-in..someone is feeding you a load of rubbish

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
12,799 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ebookers HELP!!

Had a look at Ebookers website and looks like the Emirates flights are refundable minus a fee of €150. The problem is that the Jetstar flight is non-refundable and Ebookers state in the fare conditions that: "If any fare is non-refundable, then all flights are non-refundable."

I suggest you have a look through the fare conditions of your ticket before you talk to Ebookers again to make sure what your rights are.

surrey
Level Contributor
1,966 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ebookers HELP!!

I hope you get it sorted out - sorry can't offer any constructive advice.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ebookers HELP!!

I would change the nam and take pot luck with the customs but letus know the outcome.

australia
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ebookers HELP!!

"If any fare is non-refundable, then all flights are non-refundable."

These sites do nothing but use people as a money pit.

Just get the name changed and if they won't let you board in Osaka buy a new ticket (unfortunately they will charge you an arm and a leg) better to lose a small amount than the whole lot.

And by the way immigration is where you have problems not customs (unless you are bringing in something illegal)

So long as you have an umblemished record and your papers are in order you shouldn't have a problem

Edited: 27 September 2012, 11:08
Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Ebookers HELP!!

>>>These sites do nothing but use people as a money pit.

Have you ever used ebookers yourself? I have and I've always found them to be very fair and helpful when trying to resolve any problems. Its far more likely the T&C's on this ticket are being imposed by the airline not ebookers.

I made the mistake myself when booking a ticket with ebookers, when selecting the dates for my flight whilst using the the drop down boxes I selected the wrong month and only discovered the mistake a few days later. I contacted them and they amended the booking (for a fee of course) and everything worked out just fine,of course if the airline was to have refused this under their T&C's I'd have been stuffed. Lessoned learned check EVERYTHING 3 times.

On another occasion when booking a hotel I double clicked on the confirm and ended up making the booking twice. Contacted ebookers explaining what happened, they had to contact the hotel on my behalf and get the second booking cancelled, I got a full refund.

I know there's some bad eggs out there with these 3rd party sites, but lets not assume they're all bad OK.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
5,697 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ebookers HELP!!

"Just change the name then... The ticket is nothing but a piece of paper once the name is changed just do a reprint of the booking and your name will be shown as the passenger,"

I doubt that. The original info is still in the computer system. Unless you get the actual ticket changed to the correct name, you may run into problems.

As for the Emirates tickets being refundable and the Jetstar not, this is one of the downfalls of booking your entire trip on one ticket. Normally, the rules for the most restrictive fare apply to the entire booking. There are some situations where this may not apply and a ticket is partially refundable. However, you would need to read through the fare rules for all flights on your particular ticket to see if it qualifies for an exception.