We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

In transit ( sort of) pax in Heathrow

Keaau, Hawaii
Level Contributor
20 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
In transit ( sort of) pax in Heathrow

I have a 12 hour layover ion LHR, and 2 different PNR numbers. ( AA and BA) AA said they could check my bag through to final destination as long as I show proof of other ticket. Does any know if I still have to clear customs with my checked bag and then re check? I am planning to kill sometime in the city and would like to do this as easy as possible.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: In transit ( sort of) pax in Heathrow

If your bag is checked through, you wont see it until you get to your final destination, so it wont be there to take through customs, which you will go through in any event but usually there is no line you just walk through.

Slightly different and easier system to the US.

If and when they say they will check it through make sure it has your final destination on the long white luggage tag as well as LHR.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,594 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: In transit ( sort of) pax in Heathrow

Customs shouldn't be an issue as it's a matter of walking through the green Nothing to Declare channel or blue Travellers from the EU channel.

Passport control is another matter. If you're flying with AA from DFW, spending some time in London then taking a BA flight you will go through immigration before making your way to the Underground station to travel to the city centre.

You will need to complete a landing card; write In Transit on it and tell the border agent you're going to London for a quick look around.

Your bag will make its way to the next flight as long as it is tagged correclty, as joe mentioned.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
670 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: In transit ( sort of) pax in Heathrow

Also, although we see you are based in Texas, you should make sure that the accidents of history have not left you with a passport from some less favoured nation that would mean you need a visa.

Have fun.

4. Re: In transit ( sort of) pax in Heathrow

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 10:17