We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

passport validity

m m
Adelaide, Australia
1 post
Save Topic
passport validity

I'd like to go home with a connection in Malaysia. My passport will expire one month after my flight. would it be a problem since some countries ask for 6 months validity. I do not want to enter the country it is just a connection.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: passport validity

You will not require a visa, but even for transit only, I believe Malaysia requires your passport to have a minimum six month validity left on it.

Requirements here:

airasia.com/my/en/latestnews/myentryreq.page

Edited: 30 September 2012, 16:16
Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: passport validity

If your luggage is checked through, you have your boarding passes all the way to Australia and you don't need to change terminals, you won't pass through immigration and so there won't be an issue with your passport.

If, however, you mean a connection with a stop over then, yes, Malaysia does require 6 months validity on your passport, but Australian passport holders do not require a visa for short stays.

Hants, UK
Level Contributor
2,838 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: passport validity

If you don't want to enter the country, why does it matter where you connect?

Just wondered..........

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: passport validity

f you don't want to enter the country, why does it matter where you connect?

Just wondered..........

=====

It depends on the layout of the airport.

In the US for example you nearly always have to go landside even if transiting directly to a third country. Don't know about KL, its a pretty big airport so maybe you can stay airside for some connections, but perhaps going to a different terminal involves going landside? Or perhaps the OP is going KL to LCCT which involves entering Malaysia .

5. Re: passport validity

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 08:17