We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BA economy/economy plus

4 posts
Save Topic
BA economy/economy plus

Hi - does anyone know how easy it is to upgrade at the airport on BA? I know virgin do discounted upgrades at the airport upon checkin. Do BA offer similar?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,299 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: BA economy/economy plus

Sometimes.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,181 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: BA economy/economy plus

BA may offer a paid-for upgrade at MMB (Manage My Booking) from seven to 10 days before your departure date. Those paid-for upgades from World Traveller to WT+ usually cost about £150 / $US/CAD250 per sector.

When buying an upgrade you should receive Miles and Tier Points for the cabin in which you fly; you may have to send BA an email about this if they don't post correctly to your Executive Club account.

If you're not offered the proactive upgrade at MMB then you will likely see it at an airport self serve kiosk (if there is availability); if not there then ask at the check in desk.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,260 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: BA economy/economy plus

jfk1973

In my experience it's always been fairly easy to upgrade with BA as long as their is availability on the day. I prefer to do it at the airport rather than MMB unless their is a great deal to be had.

Regards

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
54,880 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: BA economy/economy plus

The key is "as long as there is availability". There is no guarantees that seats would be available. Your potential good deal might become no deal at all. It's a risk you have to take.

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,824 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: BA economy/economy plus

I think the cheap upgrade offers on MMB are usually because the flight is looking likely to be overbooked, it's then very much in BA's interests to get you to upgrade yourself as you're paying them a small amount upfront for a seat they would likely have had to upgrade a frequent flyer to for free on the day. If there's nothing prior to or at on-line check-in, then I go straight to the ticket desk at the airport and ask if there are any upgrades available. Sometimes there are, and sometimes there aren't. It all depends on your flight on the day.

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
10,959 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: BA economy/economy plus

I was offered an upgrade from Economy to Economyplus by BA for $250 at the check-in desk. I refused to pay even more for what was already an expensive flight (£637), on my return from Toronto to Heathrow 2 weeks ago

4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: BA economy/economy plus

Thanks for your response

8. Re: BA economy/economy plus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 08:19