We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

business class - BA v Emirates

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
2,042 posts
278 reviews
Save Topic
business class - BA v Emirates

We usually fly Australia to Europe with Emirates in econ class. Last yr we splurged and flew home business class and of course we loved it.

We were looking at doing the same thing again (outbound economy, inbound business) but it seems for only a bit more money we could do the whole trip in business class with BA.

Does anybody have any thoughts on comparisons between the 2 airlines in business class?

surrey
Level Contributor
1,966 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: business class - BA v Emirates

I'm with vbh - if BA in business both ways is only a little more than the economy/business combination on EK definitely do that. BA business class is very good and the bed is acknowledged to be one of the best although others are now releasing new products. Also bear in mind that if you fly BA you can earn miles on Qantas which will be useful to you to use for internal flights there.

When you did your search - did you search from Melbourne or Sydney? If from Melbourne your flight up to Singapore or wherever the Asian stop is will be on QF.

There's a new code share agreement coming into force next year between EK and QF so maybe that will have an impact on what's available to you if you're flying after that comes into force.

uk
Level Contributor
3,514 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: business class - BA v Emirates

I've flown BC with both EK and BA and both are excellent products.

If you can do both ways in BC, go for that option.

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
37,048 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: business class - BA v Emirates

I frequently fly J with EK and love it.

As others have said though for couples travelling on the A380 beware of seat configuration - we find certain seats E/F in the middle aisle don't have the mini bar between you and your partner whereas some seats do.

I particularly like the bar at the rear of the aircraft which can get quite lively on some trips.

Edited: 01 October 2012, 12:42
Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
2,042 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: business class - BA v Emirates

Thanks for all the feedback, it has been great!

I'm leaning very much towards going BC both ways with EK, but it is pricey.

BA comes in the cheapest, followed by QA and then EK. We are not even considering QA because my husband often flies with them for business and generally has been unimpressed.

Our trip last yr was on a 777 and I would love to try the A380.

That is the problem with BC, once you try it, it is very hard to go back to economy class!

NZ
Level Contributor
1,100 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: business class - BA v Emirates

Just to muddy the water - check out Korean. Last year they had an incredible deal BC. Mine was Auck/Incheon/Paris but they also fly out of Aust to many stops in Europe. On the way over as there is often a long connecting delay you are placed in a 4/5 star hotel by the airport and given l vouchers for 3 meals. Nice relaxing way to commence the holiday.

My flight return was NZ $6K BC. (and they have links with Emirates so your airpoints can be used on either carrier)

I found the standard as good as Emirates and none of the hustle, bustle and pandemonium that is now Dubai airport. Unfortunately chinese NY got in the way of my bookings this year as I wanted to use my points so am going Emirates instead.

Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
for Flic En Flac, Mauritius
Level Contributor
17,785 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: business class - BA v Emirates

Another vote for Emirates, particularly if you are flying on the A380 their Business Class is the best.

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
2,042 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: business class - BA v Emirates

Thank you to everyone for the advice and feedback.

It seems to me that EK is the best choice, and it keeps our Skywards miles clicking over, if I can justify the cost for a short holiday.

The A380 looks very very good indeed.

If only I could get one of those upgrades!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
335 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: business class - BA v Emirates

Do it for Australia !! :)

Singapore
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: business class - BA v Emirates

I have just looked at using BA Business promotional fare for return from Brisbane to Europe. They very attractiv at first glance. The stinger is that for reasons that I cannot fathom BA DOES NOT allow you to select your seats in business class so there is no guarantee you will be seated with your partner or for that matter have a seat that you would prefer. In order to have a choice of seats one needs to pay GBP65 per person PER SECTOR !

When you add all that together its better to go with Singapore Airlines.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: business class - BA v Emirates

BA - British Airways do Not fly to Brisbane, the only place they fly to in Australia is Sydney