We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Top Transatlantic

vermont
Level Contributor
51 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Top Transatlantic

i will be tripping from nyc or newark nj to moscow, russia and not familiar with any of the overseas airlines. would like to hear reviews on which ones you had good experiences on. would also like to know if is coach comfortable enough or should i bump to business class. thanks!

Edited: 04 October 2012, 16:35
London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Top Transatlantic

If you can afford it easily, go business, every time, but for most airlines it's a big difference in cost.

Quebec City
Level Contributor
593 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Top Transatlantic

For what it's worth, my transatlantic experiences are:

British Airways: Great.

Thomas Cook: OK

Lufthansa: Great

Air Transat: Worst discomfort ever in economy, the seat was so lumpy, it felt like I was sitting on my seatbelt the entire flight. IFE was one (uninteresting) movie on a screen at the front. Would do it again for non-stop cheap flight, though.

Air France: Great

Air Canada: Great

United: Very good (much better than I had expected, actually!)

Note: I have never (yet) flown anything but economy. Would love to sleep on those lie-flat seats, but I don't yet have the salary to afford paying three times the fare, and I don't fly frequently enough to have FF miles that could give me upgrades.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
13,176 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Top Transatlantic

Avoid US based carriers like the plague!

vermont
Level Contributor
51 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Top Transatlantic

thanks so much for your input...i don't mind flying, but worried about being so cramped for soooo long...

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Top Transatlantic

If you're really worried about comfort, either bite the bullet and pay for business class on a non-stop flight or maybe get a premium economy flight to europe and complete your journey in economy or euro-business?

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
194 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Top Transatlantic

For comfort without the cost of business class you could also go for Economy Plus or Premiem Economy with one of the airlines that offer it. I think KLM counts as one.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
34,841 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Top Transatlantic

http://www.aeroflot.ru/cms/en/

Aeroflot business would most likely be the cheapest..direct from JFK to Moscow.....anyone brave enough? I think I would be:)

Norddeutschland
Level Contributor
287 posts
781 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Top Transatlantic

It´s not that long a flight from NYC to Europe.

There is a Singapore Air flight to Frankfurt.

London, United...
Level Contributor
141 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Top Transatlantic

Yes go business class if you can afford it. Go on a western European carrier over a US carrier.

If not business, go premium economy, with the main choices being BA, Virgin Atlantic, SAS and KLM. BA would be a reasonable choice with lots of flight options, and with long haul aircraft now for the Trans Atlantic and the London-Moscow flight.

A cheap option in premium economy or business is Icelandair, but it doesn't fly to Moscow (but does fly to St Petersburg).

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,570 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Top Transatlantic

If you are located in vermon t, you may wish to consider Air Canada out of montreal ( no direct to moscow but would likely connect/codeshare with lufthansa via frankfurt or similar). I echo above sentiment, avoid the US based carriers, AC was actually voted best north amercia airline by Skytrax. Business class for sure if you can do the big difference in price. AC hass a great business class product.