We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lufthans seems to have gone down hill

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
4 posts
177 reviews
Save Topic
Lufthans seems to have gone down hill

I haven't flown Lufthansa for a long time and haven't flown economy for a long time so my recent trans-Atlantic flight was a shock. Not only were the seats really tight but the food was mediocre and the videos very limited and hard to manage. Only the drinks were fine. I have fond memories of Lufthansa from perhaps 10 years ago so am wondering about other people's experiences.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lufthans seems to have gone down hill

most airlines' service with the exception of a few from asia and the middle east has deteriorated over the last 10 years.

dont think LH is on its own in this regard.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
4 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lufthans seems to have gone down hill

I know they've been cutting back on intra-European service, but thought that trans-Atlantic service continued to be decent.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
4 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lufthans seems to have gone down hill

I gather that the only place for good service is business class or first class. I've flown British Airways in recent years and found their economy plus a good compromise.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
8,660 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lufthans seems to have gone down hill

I like their intra-Europe service. I avoid them when I can for TATL. I flew them DOH-FRA-LGW earlier this year and it was quite good (though I did have bulkhead seating).

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
378 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lufthans seems to have gone down hill

People nowadays buy on price, not service. The market responds to this.

Milford, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,176 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lufthans seems to have gone down hill

I just returned to the US from Munich via Lufthansa. I thought they had the nicest, most hospitable flight attendants in the industry. All transatlantic economy travel is pretty basic now. I also flew from CVG to VIE in April on United/Austrian Airlines. The seats in economy class were so close it was laughable. I preferred Lufthansa over Austrian... just my opinion!

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lufthans seems to have gone down hill

Lufthansa are pretty much decent, possibly average or above in the larger scale. As lien says, air travel is not what it was ten years ago, and service levels are reduced due to airlines need to keep ticket costs competitive.

I agree if you want what was available a decade ago, then you need to go for the economy plus type ticket, and pay accordingly. It's really not just Lufthansa, it's across the board, and lufthansas economy product is comparable to others these days.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
27,926 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lufthans seems to have gone down hill

I last flew LH two years ago (West Coast to India via FRA). They were fine/very good.. Economy is a bog standard (ie tight) 31" pitch, but all aircraft except the 747-400s have full AVOD. The food was fine for Y class, and the flight attendant service was and has always been very good.

The only reason I haven't flown them since is that I combine my India business trips with visiting my staff in China, so I fly to India on TPACs instead (United to HKG or BKK then Jet).

Comparing Lufty 2010 and United 2012, I'd say they're pretty even, but that's due to United's improvement and not any degradation by Lufty. United has E+ for a fee (better legroom), Lufty has better food and free alcohol on TATL. Lufty has slightly more aircraft with AVOD, but that gap is closing. The flight attendant service on both is very good; and that's due to United's staff improving to Lufty standard and not the other way round.

So, I'd be quite happy to fly Lufthansa again.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
16,536 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lufthans seems to have gone down hill

I agree with all the responses that most airlines have forced me to reduce my own expectations in the past 10 years. But, as a Star Gold elite, I'd still fly them.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
20,204 posts
1,632 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lufthans seems to have gone down hill

For the price Iike them and have flown long distance a few times recently. Compared to Emirates, the seat lengths might be a little tighter and the IFE is not as comprehensive but very competitive prices.