We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Easyjet, how do they allocate the free seats?

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
34 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Easyjet, how do they allocate the free seats?

Hi, just looking at booking a flight from Luton to Paris for 2 adults and 2 children. If I choose not to pay extra for a numbered seat and instead go for the "random" allocation when checking in, how does it work? Will they reserve 2 sets of 2 seats making sure there is an adult with each child? Also, will they fill the aircraft from the front backwards, or the other way round? One last question, is there no way you can negotiate a seat allocation from what's left when checking in at the desk?

176 replies to this topic
Kiama, Australia
Level Contributor
2,954 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Easyjet, how do they allocate the free seats?

Very simplistic way of looking at it - except for one thing.

Adults with children have a choice and do not have a disability of any kind. Like I said before, I have 2 young children and I that responsibility on board when making bookings. For those are either too stupid or don't care, why do we all get punished.

The easiest way is that airlines should make it compulsory for parents travelling with children under 12 to pre-book (and pay) for their seats just like those of us with an ounce of intelligence do.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
3,529 posts
Save Reply
32. Re: Easyjet, how do they allocate the free seats?

Eva,

I tend to agree with some of the things you say. OK if any airline chooses to make these "rules" under their T & C's then everyone can again choose whether they fly with that airline or not.

With legacy airlines many of these things apply and any costs to the airline are built-in to the prices they charge meals/checked baggage etc.

In this case we are talking about LCC's where they lay out their T & C's, you have the choice to pay rock bottom price and get no "extras" like meal/checked bag/seat choice etc. If you want to make the journey perhaps a little more comfortable you can select which "extras" you want and pay for them.

So basically you have three choices, a legacy airline where the ticket price covers all these things (and there is definately no such thing as a "free dinner"), you can go with an LCC and add-on whatever extras you want or you can pay the minimum price and accept the T & C's.

However, that would all depend on changes by the airlines. At present the situation is arising regarding families being seated seperately because on occasions there are no blocks of seats left for families who do not pay to reserve their seats. I'm afraid you haven't come up with a solution to the present day problem.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Easyjet, how do they allocate the free seats?

I didn't say that the whole family should be seated together. I asserted that a child should be seated next to a person (one person) who is designated as the responsible adult in charge of that child.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
3,529 posts
Save Reply
34. Re: Easyjet, how do they allocate the free seats?

As I keep repeating, if a family turn up at the "gate" and there are only single seperate seats available and it does happen, what then ?

You mention people with babies being given priority for seats with bassinets, totally agree but in those circumstances you advise the airline in advance and hopefully are allocated such a seat - to equate that situation with the main point of this discussion, what happens on such an airline when other passengers with babies have reserved "bassinet" seats, of which there are a very limited number and then a passenger with a baby simple turns up finds there are non-available do they demand someone who has had the foresight to reserve one is simply removed to accommodate them ?

Equally with anyone unfortunate enough to be disabled, they would, I hope, have advised the airline and been allocated a suitable seat, they wouldn't just book a ticket and turn up and hope for the best.

Sorry but all it needs is a little bit of planning, if you can't be bothered then I'm afraid you take what is left.

By the way, I have had children and grandchildren with me on flights and have flown back long-haul with my wife in a wheelchair after a car accident and we did the necessary to make the flights as comfortable as we could, (for ourselves and other passengers). It isn't too difficult even on LCC's.

Guess everyone is entitled to their opinion so I will leave it at that.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Easyjet, how do they allocate the free seats?

I don't mind the idea that it is mandatory for children 6 and under be required to prepay for a seat next to the adult they are traveling with who will also have to pay. You then could have them tick a box for kids that are 7 - 11 that you are aware by not prepaying for a seat you not guaranteed to sit together. This could help I think, but honestly, is this necessary? Why do people with kids have to be told to prepay for seats if they want to sit with their children? Common sense says that you should just do it (at least that's what I do if I want to ensure sitting with my kids).

Windsor and...
Level Contributor
364 posts
314 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Easyjet, how do they allocate the free seats?

I think Easyjet's system is great. I used it few times and every time I prepay my seats. The 3 GPB per person is small price to pay especially when I can chose my exact seat and want to make sure that I will sit next to my travel companion.

Level Contributor
3,399 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Easyjet, how do they allocate the free seats?

And children should be seated with the adult who is responsible for them.

---

Then they should pay for it, the same as anyone else who wants to sit together. Nothing is stopping them together except their own cheapskatedness

London
Level Contributor
34 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: Easyjet, how do they allocate the free seats?

I think EasyJet need to make it a bit clearer that even children aged 3 years old could be sitting on their own should parents not prebook their seats. I think it is fair to say that you would assume (like myself) they would be automatically seated next to an adult. Nothing to do with rules, just that children of 3 years always require adult supervision, that is common sense. I wouldn't want to be personally sat next to a child of 3 years without him being supervised as I'd feel it would then be my responsibility to look out for him.

I think the problem here is a lack of clarity in the information rather than anything else.

London, United...
Level Contributor
82 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: Easyjet, how do they allocate the free seats?

Hi just thought I would add if you are traveling to a holiday destination or booking late I would advise to book seats together as you will possibly be split up. Also family's tend to be sat from example a,b,c,d so all across so a couple can sit on e and f.

Some delays are because people haven't paid and been split up, so would advise to pay the £3 on a holiday route such as London gatwick to tenerife, I am travelling with thomson and they charge £30 return to pre book your seats, easyjet is a bargain to pre book seats realistically prepared to other charters!

australia
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: Easyjet, how do they allocate the free seats?

I don't see why Easyjet can't just up the price of the ticket when booking and make everyone choose as soon as you book... the extra you pay depends on the seat you select. If they hit you up for pre flight seat selection like BA I could understand the reluctance to pay but your talking LCC folks.

For those that think it increases the ticket price then I bet you don't even know what the actual price from A to B is... it is not a fixed price, prices change from day to day, week to week. You could pay more today than you would tomorrow. The only static costs are the add-ons.

Reply to: Easyjet, how do they allocate the free seats?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted