We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BA Upgrade?

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Topic
BA Upgrade?

Flying from LGW TO LAS in December.

Flying with BA in economy (or is it called WT?)

Anyway considering upgrading - firstly approximately how much would the additional classes cost to upgrade and is it worth it?

Have never flown anything above economy hence the 'is it worth it question'.

If upgrading would it be better upgrading online or waiting to get to the airport?

Do they give free upgrades?

Thanks

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,299 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: BA Upgrade?

No free upgrades unless in exceptional circumstances. If you're not an elite status flyer in an overbooked cabin your chances may as well be zero.

Prices to upgrade are variable. Check "Manage My Booking", it might be as little as £150 per person each way or it might be £2000.

Is it worth it is a very subjective question and only you can answer that once you've paid up and experienced it.

Swindon, UK
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: BA Upgrade?

Sorry, confused by the LGW to LAS, are you direct flying from Heathrow (LHR)or Gatwick(LGW)? As I thought BA only fly direct from Heathrow.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
14,153 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: BA Upgrade?

As OP2002 says, nobody (except yourself) can say if it's worth it to you but check out BA's website for info on what extras are offered in WT+.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
14,153 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: BA Upgrade?

"As I thought BA only fly direct from Heathrow."

The route from LGW is starting up with the switch to winter schedule.

Swindon, UK
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: BA Upgrade?

Mmmh, interesting! thanks Lex. :)

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: BA Upgrade?

Checked the website for extras (which seem good) but no prices as it says I have to call them.

Regarding getting a price - would it be cheaper leaving it as close as possible to flight tume or is it all subjective?

Eastbourne
Level Contributor
61 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: BA Upgrade?

Recently flew LHR-SFO, in BA cattle. We were offered an upgrade to WT+ for £189 each way, on arrival at Heathrow.

We didn't bother as I'd read it's not much better than economy. I don't know what we would've paid if we'd taken the (slight) upgrade on booking though.

I think anymore than WT+ and you're talking £££.

surrey
Level Contributor
1,966 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: BA Upgrade?

Have you joined the BA Executive Club - if not you should then do as OP2002 suggests in post 2 - look at 'Manage my booking' and at the bottom of the page on the right hand side is 'Upgrade my class of travel with money' - maybe that's what you're already looking at. Closer to the time of travel there may be the option to do this online if it's not showing now. It really depends on how busy the flight is in the various classes.

With regard to getting free upgrades - it does happen even if you don't have status. My son and his girlfriend who had only just joined the BAEC were flying to Miami and when they went to check in online they discovered that they'd been upgraded from economy to World Traveller + but they couldn't choose their seats until they got to the airport but there they couldn't get them together. When they got on board - someone wanted to downgrade himself so that he could sit with his friend and my son was offered his seat in Club instead but he offered it to the guy sitting beside his (my son's) girlfriend instead who was very happy to accept it as you would imagine.

Even with status I've never had an upgrade unfortunately but my husband has a couple of times when travelling on his own.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,510 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: BA Upgrade?

WT+ is IMHO worth it for the extra legroom.

if you're not a member of exec club, join now.

If you are a member, look for upgrade offers by checking Manage My Booking periodically - you may get an offer to upgrade to WT+ there.

At the airport, always worth asking if there are any upgrade options - so this at the BA desk. Availabilty/price will vary from nothing to some good deals - but within an overall low change of getting anything.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
519 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: BA Upgrade?

Personally, I don't see much difference and wouldn't pay again for WT+, just not worth it to me.