We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Qatar airways to Melbourne

Lanzarote, Spain
Level Contributor
257 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Qatar airways to Melbourne

I am looking for a business flight LHR to MEL with the least stopovers and less than 2 hrs or so for transfers. Found the Qatar flight (obviously via Doha) that appears to go direct to Melbourne, or do they sneak a refuelling stop in somewhere. Has anyone used this flight recently(B77L) Tips & advice please

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2,329 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Qatar airways to Melbourne

No refuelling stop. It's direct.

For reviews, check airlinequality.com.

I haven't done that particular trip myself, but as a premium passenger you would get to avoid the nightmare that is the regular DOH airport and have a smoother transfer in the premium terminal.

Staffordshire...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
16,994 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Qatar airways to Melbourne

Qatar is a fabulous airline to fly with. When we changed planes at Doha it was within the hour. It's a small airport and easy to navigate so a 2 hour changeover time should be plenty. We only flew economy with them so business class should be easy.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Qatar airways to Melbourne

The one time I flew business class on Qatar Airways from DOH to CPH the service was excellent. Beats Emirates business class by miles.

Edited: 12 October 2012, 14:51
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
64 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Qatar airways to Melbourne

The only low point about flying Qatar airways is the Doha Airport transfer which is nightmarish.. long queues even for restrooms.. (this is the lowest point of any aiport I have been to ).. I don't know about premium passengers though. Apart from that, Qatar Airways is the best of the lot with excellent service from legroom to food.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
64 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Qatar airways to Melbourne

Only for the transfer that I would prefer Emirates over Qatar... The new Doha airport is in making since last 5 or 6 years but still not finished... This sounds fishy as middle eastern infrastructure development don't have any constraints with regards to clearance, finance etc as it happens elsewhere.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
64 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Qatar airways to Melbourne

I think that, due to the awful Doha airport terminal, many westerners avoid Qatar airways. This is based on my recent experience of a JFK flight from Doha which was full but majority of passengers were of Asian and other origin. There were hardly any White people to be seen in Economy.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Qatar airways to Melbourne

You have to distinguish between the ordinary terminal (for economy pax) and Premium Terminal ( for premium pax). They are 2 different worlds.

Even with the old terminal I prefer transiting in Doha over Dubai. Distances are short and connections are usually short.

Staffordshire...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
16,994 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Qatar airways to Melbourne

I just have to respond to post 6 relating to lack of White people in economy. I find it a strange point to make and it most certainly was not the case when we transited at Doha. There are all nationalities.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
64 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Qatar airways to Melbourne

thanks, I was not aware of the premium terminal, you see I belong to the 99% of the world population ;)

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Qatar airways to Melbourne

Premium Terminal was already mentioned in reply # 1.