We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

IFE Language options

uk
Level Contributor
3,643 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
IFE Language options

My mother in law is Danish and unlike many Scandics, her English is very limited.

She recently flew from CPH to EWR direct with SAS.

She was surprised to find that there were no Danish language options at all on the IFE. This also surprised me, I would have expected the flag carrier to cater to their home market in this respect.

She had reading material with her so wasn't too bored and isn't looking to complain (although I suggested a short note to SAS might be worthwhile, if only to try and understand their policy).

Just wondering if anybody else finds this policy odd or has experienced similar on other airlines.

Scotland
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: IFE Language options

Yes, it seems odd not to have any options at all in any of the Nordic languages (although therein perhaps lies the complications).

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,232 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: IFE Language options

Perhaps it does sound strange, but to note that SAS is not a domestic carrier, it is an international airline, which is the problem. On top of this there are ten major languages to support in the region including Sami, Russian and the Baltics without English.

At the end of the day this all boils down to costs, and SAS is under the same budget constraints as most other carriers. They are all looking for ways to cut costs on complimentary services, cheaper meal options and IFE, which is not cheap. With new technology bringing these costs down, I do not see why it would not be possible soon to be able to support all languages, depends what type of deal they can make with the television and film companies.

Typically the most popular shows on these IFE systems are typically Mr Bean, Just for Laughs (Canadian) and apologies the Czech one, which I strangely I had on VHS from someone in Prague many years ago. Why? Because limited language and can be shown everywhere without the need for dubbing.

However, for now you will just have to show your mother in law how to download her favourite television shows to a tablet computer or something to carry onboard flights,

Edited: 15 October 2012, 09:37
3. Re: IFE Language options

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2013, 10:16