We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are dogs really allowed in your carry-on?

Rochester, United...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Are dogs really allowed in your carry-on?

At Venice Marco Polo airport on Sunday October 14th, I was queuing for the security check when I noticed the woman in front of me had a live chihuahua dog in her hand-bag! My husband and I were amazed as we'd never seen this before, but no-one else (including security) batted an eyelid, and the dog was clearly visible....am I missing something?

I lost sight of her past security, I would love to know if she got on her flight with her dog.....

Dallas
Level Contributor
1,420 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are dogs really allowed in your carry-on?

Yes, small dogs or cats nay be allowed in the cabin on many airlines but there is usually a limit of two per cabin. (The number may differ per airline.). They must, however, be in a pet carrier the entire flight. I'm surprised this dog was in her handbag, unless she had a pet carrier you didn't see.

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are dogs really allowed in your carry-on?

At Palma airport last spring I was disturbed to see in the long outbound line for Security an abandoned pet carrier with a highly distressed small dog inside and no sign of who it belonged to .Passengers were just walking round the carrier as they shuffled closer to the scanners. My wife and I tried to imagine the background to events but it was too upsetting to contemplate.

Cala d'Or, Spain
Level Contributor
4,256 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are dogs really allowed in your carry-on?

Dogs on planes are very common especially in France and Germany although I think there is a weight limit of 5 kilos.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
38,920 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are dogs really allowed in your carry-on?

I've also seen small dogs on planes in Europe. I also thought that they had to be in a pet carrier though but not 100% sure

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
638 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are dogs really allowed in your carry-on?

We have taken our Jack Russell many times in cabin. You have to pay to do this and most certainly let the airline know when you book your flight. Depending on where you fly to there may be paperwork required showing your pet has all the required shots, chip, etc.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,258 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Are dogs really allowed in your carry-on?

All depends on the airline policy. If someone manages to exploit the "Emotional Support Animal" loophole then you could end up with almost anything including miniature horses, monkeys, birds, etc.

Cala d'Or, Spain
Level Contributor
4,256 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Are dogs really allowed in your carry-on?

OP2002, most airlines who carry animals restrict their carriage in the cabin to just dogs and cats of a particular size and weight and most have been doing so for many years.

Horses, monkeys and birds, you are just being ridiculous.

Watford, United...
Level Contributor
5,034 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Are dogs really allowed in your carry-on?

I imagine even miniture horses would have to go into checked baggage.

Newton Abbot...
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Are dogs really allowed in your carry-on?

<< Horses, monkeys and birds, you are just being ridiculous >>

You've obviously never heard of the Pig on the plane otherwise you wouldn't be so quick as to accuse others of being ridiculous !

telegraph.co.uk/news/…

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Are dogs really allowed in your carry-on?

Horses, monkeys and birds, you are just being ridiculous

Not true. Minature horses and monkeys can be trained emotional support animals and are amazingly enough allowed on many airlines if the passenger has the correct documentation. Just one example from UA's Contract of Carriage says:

"Certain Service Animals, such as various breeds of monkeys, must be small enough to fit in the space under the seat without invading another Passenger’s seat area during the entire flight."

However, in UA's Contract of Carriage I found some "animals" that are not acceptable:

"UA will not accept snakes, other reptiles, ferrets, rodents and spiders as Service Animals."