We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any advice on ryanair

Perth, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Any advice on ryanair

Hello booked a holiday for my partner, son and I at the travel agents, we are flying with ryanair, got a phone call today to say we can pick up the tickets as they have arrived, I have looked up Ryanair though and all I seem to find is bad reviews, people who have travelled as a family and had to sit seperatly etc. Has anyone travelled with them and have any tips? I read that we have to check in online too is this correct? Just want to know I am doing it correctly :)

Thank you

Chevonne

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,795 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any advice on ryanair

Hi and welcome to Tripadvisor,

1. Why not read the many many many threads on here about them?

2. They are about the biggest airline in the world, by passenger numbers. Someone must like them.

3. Travel agents are NOT allowed to sell their tickets. You could be prevented from flying.

4. Read their terms and conditions carefully, especially relating to luggage.

5. I've used them twice, and I would be reluctant to fly with them again, but, as said, millions do.

6. Where are you flying to? Did you look at alternative airlines? Is the airport anywhere near your destination? :-)

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
34,994 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any advice on ryanair

Ryanair don't send tickets. You will have to check in online for both the outbound and inbound flights, and print your boarding passes. If you don't do this you will be charged a reissue fee of £60/€60 each.

As long as your agent used your email address when booking, you will get plenty of emails from Ryanair about what you need to do, and not do.

Just follow Ryanair's rules exactly, and you will be ok.

Perth, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any advice on ryanair

Thank you both for your replies, I am trying to see if someone can take me to pick up the "tickets" so I can see exactly what is there and see if notes are there etc, I am thinking that perhaps they used their own email and that they have the print off's for me, booked with said travel agent before and never had any problems with them, Do you know how much extra it cost's to check-in online just so I know? Also is the drop-off desk for baggage well signed? Starting to get worried as travelling with a two year old too want it to go as easy as possible.Flying to Malaga and I looked up how long the transfer is and everyone has said it's a fairly short journey. I am reluctant to look them up as I keep seeing bad reviews lol

Chevonne

Somerset, UK
Level Contributor
489 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any advice on ryanair

I don't like Ryanair, don't like the way they do business and I try to avoid them if at all possible. Having said that I am sure you will be fine. Check the threads on TA to avoid their sneaky little charges and read their T&Cs.

They don't sell through travel agents so the advice Leyland gives is spot on - the agent should have used your personal info and email address to make the booking.

Edited: 18 October 2012, 15:59
Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,795 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any advice on ryanair

Malaga is one of the most popular airports in southern Europe. There had to be good alternatives.

How much did you pay, and where are you flying from?

How can we say if the drop-off desk is well-signed if we don't know your airport? :-)

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
34,994 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any advice on ryanair

I wouldn't book with any agent that books Ryanair flights. They can't use their own email address as it will be an agency one. If they haven't used yours., all they can do is use a special one that they have specifically set up, but by doing that the customer doesn't get any of the information from Ryanair that they should.

This is one reason Ryanair are trying to find ways of stopping agents from booking. They've had lot's of complaints this summer from passengers who didn't get said information, and have had to pay out lot's of money because of it.

There is no alternative to online check in, unless you want to shell out a lot of money at the airport. They only have bag drop desks and they will be designated as Ryanair desks, the same way as every other airlines does.

Perth, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any advice on ryanair

Apologies flying from Prestwick, we fly in less than three weeks now, I am just going to hold out until I get the stuff from the travel agents tomorrow and see what is all there, thank you both for you information, I was planning on checking-in online anyway so I could book us seat's so we can sit together will just need to wait and see what I get given from the travel agents.

Thanks again to you both

Chevonne

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
34,994 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any advice on ryanair

There are limited seats available for reserving, and as you are flying with a child it will preclude the exit seats. You have to ring to prebook them. They are £20/€20 each per flight or subject to availability, you can book them at the airport.

As you are so close to travelling you may not be able to get one now. You can purchase priority boarding though.

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
247 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Any advice on ryanair

Flying with Ryanair is fine if you follow their rules. Most of the bad reviews are from people who don't.

Make sure your bags are not heavier or larger than Ryanair specifies. Make sure you have printed out your boarding passes and take them to the airport with you. Your travel agent should give you the code to allow you to print them yourself, or if not, get them to do it for you.

Yes, Ryanair don't allow travel agents to sell their flights, but if they don't know then you will be ok.

Remember, follow the rules and you'll be fine.

Park.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,795 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Any advice on ryanair

ryanair.com/en/questions/what-is-ryanairs-po…

You could just read the FAQs on the Ryanair site, eg, PURCHASING reserved seats for children. Looks like more money to cough up.

Prestwick airport is tiny - you should have no problem finding your way around.