We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AA flight cancelled

11 posts
Save Topic
AA flight cancelled

Hello~!

I'm supposed to be off to New York in February however I've just got an email from Expedia saying BA have cancelled my codeshare flight with AA from Manchester.

All the flights to JFK from MAN from the 6th Feb onwards all seem that you have to connect in LHR. They also no longer have direct flights to Chicago so I'm guessing they're pulling out of Manchester all together?

Need to phone Expedia tomorrow to try and sort it out but I'm guessing my only options is going to be to fork out around £100+ for the internal flight to Heathrow?

Hope that makes sense and is in the right place.

uk
Level Contributor
3,715 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: AA flight cancelled

Very odd - not seen anything in the press in this regard.

I'd be surprised if AA dropped these flights, they are usually busy.

I've just done a dummy booking for some random Feb dates and AA are still selling the direct flight.

If you want to head to NYC, United fly direct from Man to EWR, you could ask for a refund on the AA flight and book this alternative.

11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: AA flight cancelled

Oh just did a dummy booking for next June for JFK and ORD so maybe not.

11 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: AA flight cancelled

Yeah I only picked a couple of other dates in Feb at random and I couldn't see any directs but yeah they are still there sorry!

London, England
Level Contributor
1,319 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: AA flight cancelled

You will be entitled to either;

a) Refund of your ticket price

b) Re-routing (even if this is a different airline)

The choice is yours NOT the choice of the airline.

If there isn't much difference in cost then just take the refund, otherwise go for the re-routing.

If you take a refund you can't then ask for the difference in fare.

Airlines will often refuse the re-routing option with another airline (typical airline arrogance) but it is your right and you can pursue it.

11 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: AA flight cancelled

I should have stated last night that only the outgoing portion has been cancelled. I'm guessing that doesn't change anything in regards to AA/Expedia having to sort it out?

Sorry for being a dunce.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
338 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: AA flight cancelled

Agree with PhilAt.

On no account take the refund as replacement flights are likely to be rather more expensive now than when you purchased your ticket.

The airline is obliged to re-route you at no additional cost to you the passenger. If this means that they have to pick up the tab for a domestic connecting flight then that is what they are obliged to do.

But make sure that Expedia are absolutely clear in what you want. Confirm this in writing to them.

11 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: AA flight cancelled

Cancelled for operational reasons apparently.

So now its:

Depart MAN at 13:45 arrive at LHR at 14:45

Depart LHR at 16:15 arrive at JFK at 19:20.

Thank you for your help guys. I'm guessing around an hour will be fine to make that connection? Hopefully.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
338 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: AA flight cancelled

The only thing to watch for is whether your MAN flight arrives at a different terminal to the one from where your JFK flight departs. If they are both arrib=ving and departing from T5 then 60 mins is the minimum connection time so you ought to be fine.

London, England
Level Contributor
1,319 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: AA flight cancelled

If United have direct flights ask to be re-routed by them.

Why have the hassle of changing at Heathrow.

Shrewsbury
Level Contributor
14 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: AA flight cancelled

Same happened to us for our American Airlines NY Eve flight back but we were automatically swapped onto a JFK-LHR flight with connecting flight to Manchester with BA. Once I confirmed with lastminute.com that I was happy with the option offered, I was able to re-select seats within 24hrs. No extra cost to us.