We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How important is seat pitch?

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
376 reviews
Save Topic
How important is seat pitch?

Looking at Alaska Airlines 737-800 from Kona to Portland, or Hawaiian Airlines 767-300ER (after short hope to Honolulu on a 717). Seatexpert says the width of first class seats on both is 21" but that the Hawaiian seat has a 42" pitch while Alaska's is 36-38" (varies on the same plane?). Much of a factor?

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,715 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How important is seat pitch?

Generally the greater the pitch the greater the leg room. ( unless the airline with the smaller pitch has very narrow seatbacks)---The fact that is varies on the same plane means some seats are further apart than others.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,117 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How important is seat pitch?

For me the seat pitch is more important on longer flights although I'm not tall and slim build so I can get away with the normal mimimum seat pitch of 31in in economy if I've not got a choice.

I'd always opt for the greater pitch subject to flight routes and costs - I wouldn't do an indirect with greater seat pitch compared to a direct with less pitch.

I'd think 36-38 inches would still be ok as long as you're not overly tall/long legged although any amount of seat pith can be impacted if you have a seat recliner in front of you (without wishing to open that debate again).

3. Re: How important is seat pitch?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 20 October 2012, 01:05
Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province
Level Contributor
5,591 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: How important is seat pitch?

Most first class spacings have enough room between seats for comfort.

All other things being equal, the bigger pitch of Hawaiian would be my choice, simply because it allows easier access for the window seat flyer.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,255 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How important is seat pitch?

For me seat pitch is as important as sitting on the inside of the aircraft!

Edited: 20 October 2012, 05:41
Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How important is seat pitch?

Sitting inside the plane is good, right?

Scotland
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How important is seat pitch?

Seat pitch is important, clearly. But it doesn't tell the whole story.

For example, I avoid 'extra leg-room' seats at bulkheads. They may have a greater seat pitch (space between back of your seat and seat/bulkhead in front). However, what is more important to me and my dodgy knees is being able to stretch my legs out under the seat in front. You can't do this when a bulkhead is in the way!

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How important is seat pitch?

Or perhaps, if you're in a center section (e.g., with 2 x 2 x 2), and people may cut in front of that front seat to go to the rest room on one side.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
53,673 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How important is seat pitch?

Not all bulkheads are created equal. Some are truly good seats, while others might actually give you less room. The other drawback of bulkheads is they are often near toilets and galleys, thus increasing the disturbance around the seat.

In my opinion, seat pitch is just about the most important factor in terms of comfort. It determines how much room you have, much more so than seat width (unless the flyer is rather large). Notice that the difference between economy, business and first is always primarily about seat pitch.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
9,664 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How important is seat pitch?

Remember that pitch is the distance from a point on one seat to the same point on the seat ahead of it. So, that means aircraft with the newer, thinner seat backs can have a smaller pitch measurement than planes with thicker seat backs and yet still give you more room.

For example, the new seats United is installing on their A320-ish fleet is an inch and a half thinner than the old seats, allowing them to snug the rows together enough to add an extra row into the cabin, but retain the same effective passenger space.