We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rome cruise, Port to Airport time time allowance

East Moriches, New...
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Rome cruise, Port to Airport time time allowance

Pulling into port @ 7 am in Rome and want to catch a 9:45 am flight to Naples. Is this a possibility?

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
6,067 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rome cruise, Port to Airport time time allowance

Why not just take the train. Takes about an hour and 10 minutes and there are trains running at least once an hour. Much easier than having to rush to the airport and hoping you'll make it on time.

2. Re: Rome cruise, Port to Airport time time allowance

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 20 October 2012, 01:05
Indianapolis
Level Contributor
132 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rome cruise, Port to Airport time time allowance

No, I would not attempt it. You may make it if the travel gods are in your favor that day but one glitch and it won't work.

If your ship is delayed/not cleared to disembark passengers/etc you will not be getting off at 7.00am

There is no cruise ship port in Rome, it is in Civitavecchia, quite a distance. If your bus/car hire/ etc had issues ( traffic, delayes etc ) you won't make it.

The train does not travel directly to the airport, you go into Rome central, transfer trains, then go to the airport.

Visit Cruise Critic for some great advice from cruisers, the boards are a wealth of info ( like here )

Have a great cruise! I did this last May and had a fantastic time.

Denise

East Moriches, New...
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rome cruise, Port to Airport time time allowance

Thank You,

After a lot of reading and speaking to Holland America plus your comment and I see that I will have to book a later flight. To bad as the 9:45 was the best non-stop to Naples. The next non stop flight is not until 5:30 pm.

We will just have to fill the day while lugging around 2 suit cases each, any ideas ?

Once we get to Naples I will arrange a car service to our Hotel in Amalfi for 4 nights at the Marina Riviera then back to the airport where we catch a flight to Catania for a 4 night stay at the Hilton in Giardini Naxos.

I'm learning a great deal on this site, figure in the 6 months before we leave for our first trip to Italy I can learn a lot more.

atlanta
Level Contributor
4,376 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rome cruise, Port to Airport time time allowance

You really need to look at the train. You have a lot more options and won't have to wander around with luggage. Not to mention much less hassle then air travel

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
6,067 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rome cruise, Port to Airport time time allowance

Non-stop flight time = 1 hour plus security, check-in, etc. Travel time by train = 1 hour 10 minutes city center to city center.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rome cruise, Port to Airport time time allowance

Yep, I would get the train or hire a car and drive it. It's only a couple of hours or so. No way I'd fly it.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,805 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rome cruise, Port to Airport time time allowance

It is a VERY comfortable train ride!

How do you plan to get from the port(which is not really IN Rome) to the airport?? Many people take a train for that transfer!

I flew into Rome last year and then took the train to Naples so I understand the process. There are MANY trains each day and you can buy your tix ahead of time and the price is usually quite reasonable. Please consider it as going to the airport is a process in itself!

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
43,135 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rome cruise, Port to Airport time time allowance

Flying is probably most costly, taking into account getting to and from the airport and is definitely least convenient and most time consuming. Check out cost of port to hotel transfer by private taxi and compare overall cost of various options, it may be worth paying any extra if it is not too much.

wirral
Level Contributor
18,926 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rome cruise, Port to Airport time time allowance

Don't even think of flying Rome-Naples having arrived in Civitavecchia that early morning.The train is your friend both from Civitavecchia to Rome (there is an express direct service option) and Rome to Naples.You are not talking about a vast distance.I do not cease to be amazed at the chasing around Americans do on their holidays in Europe.