We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alpha Flight Guru

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
Alpha Flight Guru

Have any Australians used this company and had success? I am about to book with them and am getting nervous.

277 replies to this topic
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
81. Re: Alpha Flight Guru

Yes - did review back in mid October, they're ok but you need to keep on top of your booking, make sure your booking is not cancelled by the airline at the last minute- ours was but we kept on at AFG and it worked out ok in the end.

Good luck

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,399 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
82. Re: Alpha Flight Guru

I'd assume that a monthly bump is a highly likely scenario here.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
83. Re: Alpha Flight Guru

It works! Whether or not it's against an airline's conditions is irrelevant; many airlines either allow it or turn a blind eye to the practice and as I say - it works

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,927 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
84. Re: Alpha Flight Guru

"It works! Whether or not it's against an airline's conditions is irrelevant; many airlines either allow it or turn a blind eye to the practice and as I say - it works"

johnnixon4,

By your own admission it doesn't work (#76 and 81). Your return flight was canceled. So the airline didn't turn a blind eye or allow it. You may have been "ok" by how they got you out of the mess, but others aren't.

Edited: 13 November 2013, 06:00
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
85. Re: Alpha Flight Guru

Have you actually used them and had a problem with bookings or are you just being contentious for the sake of it

Annecy, France
Level Contributor
42 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
86. Re: Alpha Flight Guru

Thanks, I've read the thread. My question stands alone. I've never seen a PNR disappear. When I've been to a check-in counter and there's been some irregularity, it's all been in the PNR, so the agent has been able to explain it to me. Even when Qantas cancelled a flight SIN-SYD out from under me on Christmas Day, the PNR was still in the system. So I do not understand the meaning of 'tickets not alive'.

I'm not AFG's 'monthly bump'. You can email me if you want at craig at singmail dot com. And I've been a flyertalk member for over a decade. Only recently am I coming out of semi-retirement and starting to fly internationally more often. Hence my interest in AFG.

We flew Thai. This is the relevant section from their T&G: "The selling, purchasing, bartering, auctioning or exchanging of all Royal Orchid Plus Awards, including Award tickets, for compensation is strictly prohibited. THAI reserves the right to withhold or confi scate award documents, void remaining miles, close accounts, terminate membership, with or without notice, in the event of any member found to be conducting a commercial transaction with third parties involving Award documents".

I didn't do any of those things - and in any case, it doesn't mention cancelling flights.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
87. Re: Alpha Flight Guru

I didn't do any of those things

--------

Are you joking? That's like pleading to the judge that you didn't kill the person, because you paid someone else to do it so you should get off.

Re PNR disappearing, I'm not sure I see the relevance. If the flights been cancelled, who cares if the PNR is gagged as inoperative or is removed? No doubt different airlines may do things differently.

Annecy, France
Level Contributor
42 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
88. Re: Alpha Flight Guru

No, your analogy falls down immediately. If you're standing in front of a judge, you're charged with a *specific offence* at law, not with some vague 'not doing something in the spirit it was intended' kind of charge.

Now if you'd care to point out to me which of those proscribed actions in the T&C I have done, I'd be obliged.

Then you might care to point out where it says that Thai will cancel a flight.

In your own time, of course.

The relevance of the PNR is that I'm seeking some understanding of a ticket 'not being alive'. If you have such an insight, I'd appreciate it. Were I to have a ticket cancelled, I would ask the agent to pull up the PNR (the number of which I would provide) and to tell me from that record what was going on.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,927 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
89. Re: Alpha Flight Guru

"We flew Thai....."

Craig,

You may have flown with Thai, but the award tickets could (and I'd hedge a bet that they would**) have been booked by any one of Thai's frequent flyer partners, including Star Alliance. So the relevant T+Cs are not necessarily Royal Orchid Plus, but say United's MileagePlus, or in Anna's case (Malaysia, OneWorld) say American's AAdvantage. Both those carriers' FF programs state that tickets issued in violation of their programs' T+Cs are subject to cancellation. And it's the carrier that issues the ticket, not that operates the flights, whose T+Cs are enforceable.

** - the glut of available FF miles for the "secondary market" is undoubtedly with the US carriers, where all these brokers are HQ'd, who are very liberal in awarding miles through both flights and credit cards.

Edited: 13 November 2013, 07:16
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,927 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
90. Re: Alpha Flight Guru

"Have you actually used them and had a problem with bookings or are you just being contentious for the sake of it"

Of course I haven't used them. I do research. And based on your review (tickets canceled by the airline) I wouldn't touch them with my famous and trusty bargepole. :-)

Reply to: Alpha Flight Guru
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted