We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Orbitz are unbelievably incompetent

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
47 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Orbitz are unbelievably incompetent

Hi all,

I am wondering if anyone has had any trouble with Orbitz regarding booking flights. I have recently booked flights from Male to Kuala Lumpur and submitted my name correctly, I have a first, middle and last name... But, only my first and last name came out on the ticket.

Later when I rang Malaysian Airlines to choose my seats they told me that I must have my middle name on my ticket if its in my passport. They said my agent must fix it.

So, I contacted Orbitz and they have given me the complete run around. After five days and 19 emails ( yes I know it's preposterous) they want me to pay to fix their computer error before they re-issue a correct ticket or pay a penalty for a refund. I refused to pay as I did the correct thing in the first place, and am still waiting to resolve this matter.

Hoping that posting my grievance up here might help somewhat and hoping for a speedy resolution.

What are your thoughts guys......I don't know if I can put up with it any longer.... Has anyone out there been through this....

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
367 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Orbitz are unbelievably incompetent

I have a middle name on my passport but have never used it on any airline ticket-including Malaysian Airlines. Choose your seat online and check in online

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
47 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Orbitz are unbelievably incompetent

Hi Alif

Thanks for your speedy reply. I wonder whether that would work. Even if you check in online don't you still have to go to the counter to present your bags and then they check your ticket against your passport anyway?

Australia
Level Contributor
2,639 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Orbitz are unbelievably incompetent

I am the same as aliflem and just looked at my old bookings and never had to provide my middle name. Sometimes it's not always best to go through these 3rd party websites :(

Sometimes MAS call centre doesn't always give ummmm the correct info either- another reason you also may find that because you didn't book direct with them maybe orbitz has to select your seats.

I would probably suggest ringing orbitz try to get them to book your seats.....and maybe email MAS at the same time I often find I get a more satisfactory result this way..... Their email is. resvns@malaysiaairlines.com

Just to edit to add - I just checked my etickets (sad I keep them lol) and it only has your first and last name therefore it wouldn't be an issue when they check your passport against your ticket at checkin - I think you may have talked to people who don't really know -good luck :D

Edited: 24 October 2012, 11:20
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
47 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Orbitz are unbelievably incompetent

Thanks Jacks for your reply.

It does make me feel better I was really starting to get panicked. I know my bad, I'm never going through Orbitz or any other 3rd party ever again. Interesting you say that about MAS. because I know when I have booked with Jetstar in the past they have also told me that your ticket must match your passport exactly as well.

Crossing my fingers for a favourable outcome anyway.

Really appreciate your feedback.

Australia
Level Contributor
2,639 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Orbitz are unbelievably incompetent

That's ok - try not to worry too much - the only time I have put my middle name is on the online info but definetly the eticket is only your title surname and first name. I rarely use 3rd parties and find going direct has been good for me in the past 2yrs :)

Have a great trip :D

6. Re: Orbitz are unbelievably incompetent

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 November 2013, 10:19