We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Info on previous holiday, help please!

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
145 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Info on previous holiday, help please!

In 2008 we were delayed 24hrs. from Manchester to Maldives. With the new rulings comming into place regarding plane delays I want a copy of my itinery & receipt of payment from First Choice (now TUI) I have spoken to First Choice after travel, Luton Head Office web support & financial support but no one seems to beable to help due to the merger with Thomson the web sites being changed.

I booked this holiday on the First Choice web site.

We also had a 24hr delay 2 years later on another Maldives holiday which I booked in person at a First Choice hypermarket & they sent the details no problem.

Has anyone got any ideas on getting the info.? The only proof I have is an old passport stamp to say I was actually there & nothing to say I was on that flight.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions Thanks Sue

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,725 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Info on previous holiday, help please!

If Thomson, First Choice, TUI can't help then I think your out of luck - see the following thread with a similar issue.

The passport stamp is irrelevant as you need first of all to prove you were on a delayed flight.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i10702-k5857667…

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
31,313 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Info on previous holiday, help please!

And another one jumping on the compensation bandwagon for a flight taken donkey's years ago. Why should anyone help you with this? If you're that desperate (or greedy) to cash in do your own work, or hire a lawyer.

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
145 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Info on previous holiday, help please!

How strange Tom I've just replied to you on that very thread !

4. Re: Info on previous holiday, help please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 18:35
Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
36,912 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Info on previous holiday, help please!

Claiming, and succeeding, are two different things!

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
145 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Info on previous holiday, help please!

They most certainly are Leyland . I'll just have to wait and see won't I !

Marrakech
Level Contributor
3,593 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Info on previous holiday, help please!

When First Choice merged with Thomson all of the mainstream operations were moved to the Thomson systems. The First Choice systems were shut down and most of their staff were made redundant. I think the person you have spoken to is being honest when they say they can't provide the information.

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
145 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Info on previous holiday, help please!

Thanks heresmyreply I think you're right, it was a longshot.

Lancashire, United...
Level Contributor
152 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Info on previous holiday, help please!

Id also like to add:

A) an airline must have taken all reasonable measures to avoid the delay (such as providing an alternative aircraft) which in my case, and wiganocean's didnt happen. This same plane was fixed and then used. - Thus not forfilling this requirement.

B) the new landmark case hightlights that technical faults cannot be included in 'exceptional circumstances'. An aircraft is a machine, just like a car. The probablilty of a mechanical fault developing with either over its lifetime is 99% expected - How many people have MOT their cars and its failed because of a fault?...... Id say almost everyone. Its expected that something will break at some time, so therefore how can this be an 'exceptional circumstance' ?

Answer it CAN'T

Taking into consideration "resonable person" in common UK law. (hypothetically) - Would the average man suggest that a plane will develop a fault over its life time? I would think the vast majority of people would say yes!

This in reference to the latter and exceptional circustances:

Would a reasonable person expect an aircraft to develop an engine fault or hydraulic fault over its lifespan? - Most probably....

Would a reasonable person expect an aircraft to develop a structural fracture which resulted in the aircraft decompressing mid flight? - Most probably NOT!

Therefore airlines cannot class this as exceptional.

Source: Civil Aviation Authority & I have 1st Class BA (hons) Degree in Tourism Management - also studied consumer law and retail law in tourism. (I do not know everything - but I know this)

Edited: 25 October 2012, 18:54
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
31,313 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Info on previous holiday, help please!

>>& I have 1st Class BA (hons) Degree in Tourism Management - also studyied consumer law and retail law in tourism. (I do not know everything - but I know this)<<

Some of us have degrees in Engineering, which may perhaps be a tad more relevant to aircraft reliabity than a degree in tourism (though well done on the first).