We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Switching airports during a layover in Tokyo? (for JAL)

Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Switching airports during a layover in Tokyo? (for JAL)

So I was checking out fares for an SFO to Manila trip that I am planning for next year. Came across a killer deal on a popular travel site. Less than a grand for Japan Airlines, with the catch being that it included an 11 hour layover in Tokyo. No biggy, I've done longer layovers before and don't mind doing them if they can save me a couple hundred dollars. Then, as I continued to read the details I was surprised to find another catch in the fine print. Apparently, coming from SFO I would land in Narita Airport and would have to transfer to Tokyo International Airport (which I assume is a completely different airport) for my continued flight to Manila!

Has anyone ever had a layover like this.. more specifically in Tokyo or with JAL? If so, will JAL provide the transfer between the airports or would i have to find a way to transport myself? Don't even know how far apart the two airports are. I haven't bought the ticket yet and I will eventually call JAL to ask them directly, but I wanted to see if anyone have had this kind of experience and what they thought of it. Thanks in advance for the replies. :)

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Switching airports during a layover in Tokyo? (for JAL)

narita-airport.jp/en/access/haneda/index.html

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Switching airports during a layover in Tokyo? (for JAL)

You could also be arriving at Haneda and departing from Narita.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
19,363 posts
426 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Switching airports during a layover in Tokyo? (for JAL)

Tokyo International Airport is Haneda, so if that's the case you will need to transfer airports. They're not close but there's plenty of ways to do it and you have, literally, all day. I haven't done this in a few years but know you can take a bus (probably hour or so) or take train into Tokyo then another back to Haneda. Or you can take taxi.

I'm sure JAL will not do the transfer for you and I believe you will need to transfer your bags. If you were traveling light, you could spend some time in the city before heading out to Haneda.

Good luck.

Garden Bay, Canada
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
9,856 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Switching airports during a layover in Tokyo? (for JAL)

"a killer deal on a popular travel site. "

Oh, how often have we heard those words?

In the immortal words of Porky Pig... "Be verwy verwy cawfull"

Madrid
Level Contributor
3,274 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Switching airports during a layover in Tokyo? (for JAL)

Or you can take taxi.

There is your couple of hundred bucks gone.Taxi's are very expensive.

There is a train,or a bus,but check the costs,your savings may end up being eaten by the transfer.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2,329 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Switching airports during a layover in Tokyo? (for JAL)

As others have pointed out, it's not that hard to transfer between Haneda and Narita, or vice-versa. But you have to decide if the savings are really worth the hassle.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,843 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Switching airports during a layover in Tokyo? (for JAL)

JAL will not do the transfer. You will have to clear Japan immigration, then get bags and clear customs, all at Narita. then it is up to you to get you and your luggage to Haneda and check in for your flight to Manilla

Other's have stated how to do it, and you say you have 11 hours.

Carefully check the return trip. I see plenty of people asking things like landing at Haneda close to midnight,then trying to get to Narita for an early morning flight. Those transfers are difficult as there are no trains beyond a certain time, and only a few limo/bus transfers in the middle of the night.

San Jose, California
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Switching airports during a layover in Tokyo? (for JAL)

Thanks for all the replies. I'm beginning to think that the hassle isn't worth the savings. Would've been doable if I didn't have to lug around two humongous baggages but I most likely will have to. Anyhow, thanks all for the tip. Cheers!

Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Switching airports during a layover in Tokyo? (for JAL)

Thanks for all the replies. I'm beginning to think that the hassle isn't worth the savings. Would've been doable if I didn't have to lug around two humongous baggages but I most likely will have to. Anyhow, thanks all for the tip. Cheers!

10. Re: Switching airports during a layover in Tokyo? (for JAL)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 November 2013, 09:17