We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time to purchase UK to NYC Flight Tickets?

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
145 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Best time to purchase UK to NYC Flight Tickets?

Hi,

I'm looking to enjoy a vacation to the Big Apple April, May time next year.

Can someone advise when the best time to purchase a return ticket would be? I'm based in Birmingham but will travel to London Gatwick or London Heathrow to improve my options.

Thanks in advance!

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
18,648 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best time to purchase UK to NYC Flight Tickets?

"Can someone advise when the best time to purchase a return ticket would be? " - The obvious answer is when you see a price you are happy with as nobody knows when airlines will increase/decrease the ticket prices.

This is a well served route and I personally would wait until Dec/Jan when I would expect airlines such as BA to have a sale although any sale may not cover all routes/dates.

The fact that you have some flexibility over route/dates increases your chances of finding a good fare but you'll need to avoid peak travel periods such as Easter and other UK bank holidays.

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,625 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best time to purchase UK to NYC Flight Tickets?

and if you are wanting an hotel in nyc - avoid spring break. may is a lovely time of year there, but hotels are expensive.

start looking for likely hotels soon; book cancellable rooms if you see a good price, then continue looking for something better.

pam

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
145 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best time to purchase UK to NYC Flight Tickets?

Really big baseball fan so April to October, are the months I am looking for.

Just would like to get my flight out of the way early really? Any company recommendations? AA , Continental and Delta or others, lots of good and bad reviews from them.

Flight wise I would like some leg room as I am 6ft2 plus I would like a TV screen to myself if possible as I would like to take my mind off the actual flight.

thanks

Edited: 01 November 2012, 13:58
Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
18,648 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best time to purchase UK to NYC Flight Tickets?

I would start by looking at BA although make sure you are not on a codeshare flight operated by AA - you will have the option of WT+ which offers extra legroom at an extra cost of course.

BA are probably better than the US carriers and in my experience there is not a great deal of difference between them in economy class but you could also have the premium economy option with at least some of the flights but this tends to be little more than extra legroom and is inferior to WT+.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,544 posts
302 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best time to purchase UK to NYC Flight Tickets?

David O

TomC is correct. British Airways is your best option on the London to New York route and they will have a sale starting in about 6-7 weeks.

BA will offer 31" pitch in Economy or 38" in Premium Economy. They will have individual IFE systems with AVOD.

Regards

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
145 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best time to purchase UK to NYC Flight Tickets?

cool thanks for the replies, money is an issue so I maybe should not expect too much in economy class, can't really afford premium economy.

bristol uk
Level Contributor
970 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best time to purchase UK to NYC Flight Tickets?

You might want to consider Aer Lingus. You should be able to fly from Birmingham to Dublin, clear Us custom and immigration there and then connect to the New York flight. We did Bristol to Dublin to New York in the summer and it was fine. We really wanted to fly from our local airport. I chose exit row seats for around £5 each so we had a bit of extra leg room. Own IFE TVs too ... however alcoholic drinks are an additional cost.

Canada
Level Contributor
3,981 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best time to purchase UK to NYC Flight Tickets?

You should also check the MLB schedule so your know when the Yankees or Mets are playing in Apr/May and get yourself on the ticket info email list so when the regular tickets go on sale you can get them online (season tickets are on sale now)- unless you take your chance with scalpers.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
145 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best time to purchase UK to NYC Flight Tickets?

Cheers,

Gonna check when the fixtures come out then book accordingly, wanna grab a week when the yanks and mets will be at home.

and defo gonna try aer lingus site see whats occurring

10. Re: Best time to purchase UK to NYC Flight Tickets?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 November 2013, 10:17