We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which airline to take to travel to Brisbane?

Porto Alegre
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Which airline to take to travel to Brisbane?

Folks - I have to leave from Porto Alegre, Brazil, for a 4-day stay in Brisbane, Australia, in August 2013 (a scientific conference). I've been reading about companies, and Aerolineas Argentinas is the cheapest AND the most troublesome. What to say about LAN, which flies through Santiago? Emirates, with stops into Dubai:

AND - should I try to fly eastbound or westbound, regarding jet lag?

Thanks.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2,329 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which airline to take to travel to Brisbane?

I would avoid Aerolineas Argentinas!!! Nothing good to say about them.

How about a middle east airline like Emirates, Etihad, Qatar? Only one stop (though do check there is no refuelling stop in somewhere like Singapore if you want a strict direct from the mideast) and excellent service.

LAN is a good airline but it goes through Sydney. From there you'd have to connect to QF domestic for a short trip to BNE. This would involve going through the long customs/quarantine process, collecting your luggage and checking in again, what a hassle... and after flying all the way from Latin America, why would you want another flight? :)

Not sure about jetlag. It's a long trip either way.

My vote is definitely with a MidEast airline. Check skyscanner.net for a fare search engine. Best to book direct with the airline once you find the cheapest airline.

Have a great trip!

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2,329 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which airline to take to travel to Brisbane?

Sorry, forgot to add Singapore Airlines. That would also involve only one stop, and SIN is a spectacularly user-friendly airport for transfers.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
363 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which airline to take to travel to Brisbane?

Re jet lag...

Whichever way you fly it doesn't matter all that much as in any case you will be turning your body clock 180 degrees... Now is just after 9am on the east coast of Oz and after 8 pm at your place. So it doesn't really make much difference. Fly whatever airline you like better...

Safe travels!

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,131 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which airline to take to travel to Brisbane?

I find I only get jet lagged when traveling east to west. Could be just me though!

If SQ is an option then that would be my choice, followed by Emirates.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
6,560 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Which airline to take to travel to Brisbane?

Sao Paulo to Brisbane on Emirates via Dubai is almost 10,000 km farther, and around 10 hours longer in the air, than Sao Paulo to Santiago to Auckland to Brisbane on Lan and Qantas. Economy seating on Emirates' 777s is 10-abreast, vs. 8 abreast on Lan. Emirates economy seating is notorious for its cramped conditions, especially on some of the longest-duration flights in the world. I can't imagine why someone would choose that alternative, or any alternative that involves travel from South America to Queensland in an eastbound direction.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,325 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Which airline to take to travel to Brisbane?

Qantas has a nonstop flight between Santiago and Sydney - 13.5 hours westbound but only 11.5 hours eastbound.

Could be handy to know.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2,329 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which airline to take to travel to Brisbane?

Forgot about QF. Might be handy.

However, transferring to a domestic flight in Australia after a long international flight can be very stressful. Great country, but a nightmare of a process to transfer and if you get stuck in quarantine lines, can make for a stressful dash to one's flight (especially if they are in different terminals not connected together).

8. Re: Which airline to take to travel to Brisbane?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 November 2013, 10:19