We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Insecticide spray on board before take off

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Insecticide spray on board before take off

Last oct. 11, I was flying back to Zurich from New Delhi, by Swiss flight nbr. LX147. Without any previous notice, once all passengers were on board and aircraft's doors closed, we've been informed that the staff would have sprayed the cabin with a not identified insecticide, accordingly to government rule and for security reasons. As I'm an alergical person I've asked wich were the components of the spray and the cheef hostess told me she did not know. They did not have any protective mask on board. She also told me that it was an obbligation for them to spray the aircraft as the Indian Governament states so. I had the most unpleasant flight of my life. I sent a complaint to Swiss customer service dept.and as an answer I've got an extract of the Indian Government Ministry of Home Affairs Health regulation where it is not stated at all that aircrafts must be desinfected before taking off any of the airport on indian territory. I've sent another mail pointing it out to Swiss Customer Service employee, Mr. Hugo Landetta, asking him more explanations and most of all the components of the spray that has been used. That was on oct. 22nd and I did not get any new back since then. A part from being very disapponted for the behaviour of Swiss C.S. my question is: is this procedure legal? I mean: is it legal to spray a closed aircraft with an unidentified insecticide without warning the passengers by previuos notice? Because in the case it is legal, I think that some action should be taken to protect passenger's health. Susanna Baldo, Tour Leader

199 replies to this topic
Market Bosworth...
Level Contributor
1,734 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: Insecticide spray on board before take off

But oh how amusing! ;-)

Just in case anyone really wants to know what are in the canisters the 'ingredients' are printed on them.

After far too many years of flying as an air hostess using those on a regular basis with what must amount to 1000's of pax over those years I can honestly say that we never had anyone with a severe reaction, a few made a big 'fuss' about it but it was back the a regulation for a UK based carrier before flying back to the UK from a range of destinations. I can assure you they would not allow anything that was going to harm anyone to be used. Imagine the lawsuits!

42. Re: Insecticide spray on board before take off

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 17 November 2013, 12:31

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
43. Re: Insecticide spray on board before take off

Never seen pax being spayed;-)

44. Re: Insecticide spray on board before take off

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 17 November 2013, 12:32
Edited: 17 November 2013, 12:32

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,653 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
45. Re: Insecticide spray on board before take off

either royal air maroc are telling stories or MAFF is being discriminatory in some way. BA do not spray after visiting morocco.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
46. Re: Insecticide spray on board before take off

This just happened to me just before take off from Singapore to London. They said it was according to International Standards and I would love to know which ISO standard they refer to. It's the first time I have experienced it but not my first time flying through Singapore, or to London. It is my first time with BA so I assume it is their requirement. I find it completely humiliating, pleasant and really made me feel like the airline thought we were a mob of unwashed, unclean cattle. I also find it hard to believe that is it is for legal compliance as it is applied so inconsitently.

Canada
Level Contributor
4,720 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
47. Re: Insecticide spray on board before take off

Meh - more hyperbole.

I just flew from JHB to London on BA and they sprayed the cabin before departing form Johannesburg. I had actually forgotten about it until this very moment - thats how much of a non-event it was.

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,303 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
48. Re: Insecticide spray on board before take off

<<< I find it completely humiliating, pleasant ( sic ) and really made me feel like the airline thought we were a mob of unwashed, unclean cattle. >>>

You don't think you might be over-reacting a little by any chance ?

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,543 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
49. Re: Insecticide spray on board before take off

Hi

Re: 46

"I find it completely humiliating, pleasant and really made me feel like the airline thought we were a mob of unwashed, unclean cattle"

==> I can appreciate that, but in the end the carrier is required to comply with whatever is the then-current statues that apply to that specific case.... And that is wholly separate from how that may or may not make you feel or any perceptions of such..

"... I also find it hard to believe that is it is for legal compliance as it is applied so inconsitently (sic)"

==> if you have any doubts about the legality or or mandate to do so, I suggest you contact the carriers office of legal affairs or compliance.. They will be able to speak quite directly to the requirements and cite the relevant statutes..

Also, do remember that it is the *carriers* who pay for the spray itself and all associated costs..

So, from a purely self-serving economic vantage point, where is the carriers motivation to do something -- like spray -- that has costs associated with it but isn't required under either rule, statue or law?

Travel Safe,

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
50. Re: Insecticide spray on board before take off

>>"I find it completely humiliating, pleasant and really made me feel like the airline thought we were a mob of unwashed, unclean cattle"<<

Oh my goodness, you are kidding,,you were humiliated because they sprayed the plane? It's to stop the spread of contagious diseases from one country to another. Insects can fly in with the door open.

It's not applied inconsistently, it's applied on the legalities of the country. Countries differ. They have to comply and hand in the empty canisters on landing to prove they have done it. You can't disembark unless they have done it when required and it's not always required. It depends on the country.

And quite frankly, we want them to do it, controlling the spread of contagious diseases is important.

Reply to: Insecticide spray on board before take off
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted